help with brew double ipa

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinnielong

Reaction score
hey there guys, am on my second brew, its a mad dog double ipa. the problem i have is after i pitched the yeast at 25 degrees and put the fv away on Tuesday morning, i checked it tonight and its as flat as a door nail no bubbles or foam or anything,( the last brew had some good bubbles and head) its looking very clear too, i might of done something wrong and am a little annoyed. any help would be great

p.s when i picthced the yeast i give it a stir, this wouldn't of killed it would it off ?

hey there guys, am on my second brew, its a mad dog double ipa. the problem i have is after i pitched the yeast at 25 degrees and put the fv away on Tuesday morning, i checked it tonight and its as flat as a door nail no bubbles or foam or anything,( the last brew had some good bubbles and head) its looking very clear too, i might of done something wrong and am a little annoyed. any help would be great

p.s when i picthced the yeast i give it a stir, this wouldn't of killed it would it off ?

Did you give the wort solution a really good aerating before you pitched the yeast in? At least 2-3 minutes vigorous stirring? If so, you should be fine. Give it till tomorrow: I bet you have bubbles by them.

Hey,

Dried yeast can take 24-36 hours to really take hold, the little beasties have been asleep for a couple of months now and take a little while to adapt to the shock of being dropped into a wet environment now packed full of their favourite food. To help next time you do this you can rehydrate dried yeasts with a little bit of warm water prior to pitching, this will help decrease the lag time between pitching and activity.

Giving it a stir will definitely not have killed it off, just be sure everything is clean and sterile before you do this.

As mentioned above, you need to make sure you properly aerate your wort before pitching.

Pitching at higher than recommended will not necessarily kill your yeast (unless your pitching stupidly high) but may result in off flavours in your beer.

If your checking for activity from looking at a airlock, your more likely to have a leak in your FV rather than a fermentation issue.

Give it some more time, you'll probably be fine.

If none of the above work it might be the yeast itself, it's rare that you get a dodgy packet but not unheard of.

after a couple more days if you have no activity you might want to get some more yeast, and 25 degrees is a little hight for me, I prefer to pitch between 20-22 personally.

Back