New in Norfolk

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harpo84

Reaction score
Hi all,

30yo guy in Gt Yarmouth. I'm having my first go at homebrew with a Balliihoo Premium Kit (+ thermostatic immersion heater) with a 40pt Brewmaker Bitter (malt extract in a can type).

Would like to progress to all grain eventually but first things first!

I set it going on Monday night, by Tuesday it was bubbling away every 5-6 seconds. Now slowed down to 7-8 seconds. Great fun.

As an extra bonus, there's now a faint malty smell throughout half of my house!

Smelled gorgeous when mixing it all up too. Reminded me of the mash tun of a whisky distillery.

Anyway, good to be here and I look forward to learning all about homebrew :-)

PS: I think it was Brewmaker's Yorkshire Bitter to be precise.

And the reason why it's bubbling a little slower today may be because the temperature has dropped from an initial ~23ish to about 20-21. Not 100% sure that the heater is doing much. May not be cold enough for it to kick in. But the temperature is stable and right according to the instructions so fingers crossed :)

Harpo - as long as your temp is steady at 20-21 you will be fine

my heater is set to 20.5-21 you cant really tell how much its working usually but as long as your temp is steady you will be fine.

You don't want to crank it up any higher can get off tastes apparently, but i find if i don't have the heater in it takes for ever, started off a cider a couple of days after my current beer (1st all grain), and its no where near as ready (racking beer in a couple of days and will then put heater in to cider so that it speeds up as I think its not even half done)

Hi mate, welcome to the forums. I like to double check my temps with extra thermometers ( <£2 online) just for piece of mind. If I set my heater to 21' I like to know other therms agree it is roughly 21 :smile:

I think I'm like this probably due to the fact my living room thermostat set at 16.5' actually heats the room to ~20' :-o

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice, all :-D

FV is still bubbling away although slowly now. I'm going to take a hydro reading tonight and see how it's getting on.

@baggybill - Good idea on the extra thermometers. I used to work in instrumentation and know that these things aren't necessarily spot on! (sometimes nowhere near)

Latest posts

Back