Ph

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alcohol

Reaction score
I have started a batch of Carrot wine.
The Ph of the must is 4.6 this seems a bit high.
The recipe had oranges and lemons in it.
Does anyone know how many orange or Lemons squeezed, or the amount of citric acid I would have to add to reduce Ph to nearer 3.5.

I always add tartaric acid to raise the acidity because citric acid (orange & lemon) tends to get neutralised during fermentation. I suggest you add 5 grams to the gallon and test the pH again. You will probably need at least 10 grams to get anywhere near pH 3.5.

Hi
I'm a second time around wine maker and last time used to just follow recipes,
this time I'm trying to find out abit more on the technical side.
I added 2 more lemons and that got the ph just under 4.
If you say citric acid is neutralised during fermentation. Can you retest ph after fermentation and then add tartaric or citric acid as required ?
Why do a lot of recipes say add oranges and lemons and test ph of the must if the citric acid will be neutralised anyway?
I have read the ideal ph of a wine is 3.5 to 4 is this the initial must or the finished wine ? As if the recipe has oranges and lemons surely it will alter after fermentation.
I await anyone who had the patients to enlighten me.

Wine fermented with too low acidity often has a 'medicinal' flavour and is more prone to bacterial infection. Many commercial dry white wines have a pH of 3.3. The acidity of wine can fluctuate significantly during fermentation, and a young wine tends to taste sharper than a mature one, even though the pH is the same. This is sometimes due to a malolactic fermentation having taken place as a result of using fresh grapes and/or apples, both of which contain little or no citric acid, but lots of malic acid. Citric acid added to a finished wine will remain stable but confers a flavour more suited to confectionery.

Latest posts

Back