Pantry Porter - feedback please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan125

BIAB brewer
Reaction score
Hi All
I'm having a brew day tomorrow and am thinking of making a porter using up some of last seasons left over grains and open packs of hops.
What do you think? Feedback gratefully received as this only my 2nd go at a porter:-

Maris Otter - 5 EBC - 5800 grams (84.2% extract)
Crystal Malt - 150 EBC - 400 grams (5.1%)
Chocolate Malt - 1000 EBC - 160 grams (2%)
Black Malt - 1300 EBC - 52 grams (0.7%)
Dextrose Monohydrate 0 EBC 350 grams (7.9%)

Hops:
90mins
Challenger (6.9%) 17g
Pilgrim (11.6%) 10g
Bramling Cross (6.3%) 18g

10mins
Fuggle (4.9%) 12g
Golding (5.7%) 12g

24l batch, expected OG 1.059
Colour: 90 EBC
Bitternes: 37 EBU

Last edited:
Hopefully the recipe can be read easier now I've edited above.

Last edited:
Couple of questions Dan

Are you planning on dry hopping at all?

How long are you going to bottle or keg this as porters can take a lot of time to mature, especially with 5 different hops used

Thanks cheshirehomebrew

I made this yesterday and its now off and running.

Still undecided about the dry hopping, was thinking of adding just a few grams of goldings to the 2ndry a week before bottling. I'm not sure how common/popular dry hopping is with porters????

This batch is destined for bottles. It came out at 1.060 so was expecting a good amount if time maturing. The weathers decided to get sub-tropical today here in Kent so I'll probably give it 3 weeks in FV on the yeast and another 2-3 in the carboy before bottling - it might be good for xmas!

I didn't know the number of different hops used would affect the maturing time???

Dan some hope will work well together some will clash. the longer its left the smoother the taste should be.

I use the same principle with the chutney I make.It has sugar vinegar and lots of fruit with tannins in, its bloody 'orrible if you try to have it too soon but leave it a long time and all will blend together making for a wonderful taste sensation.

You could try one bottle at say 1 week then one 2 weeks later then one 3 weeks after that, score the taste, texture, aroma etc and keep a record of it maturing and see how it developes.

I made some stout about 4 weeks ago and its my christmas beer, if I messed it up it will be a porter too as never done a stout before

Thanks, I'm thinking of a Guinness clone in a couple of brews time as my 1st try at a stout.

The hop selection was just was made just to use up some nearly empty packs that had been in the freezer a while.

I'm a bit worried about the porter as the krausen has already dropped less than 48hrs after pitching the yeast. It's been another warm day here and the ferm temp may be a little high.

I'll defo give it a good while on the yeast cake to help clear up any nasties, and try to wait as long as possible after bottling before trying one (though this usually isn't anywhere near long enough). The very strong IPA I made in May is just getting good with about 10 bottles left.

What do you think about dry hopping a porter?

If you do dry hop use one that will mostly impart aroma as opposed to flavour, Amarillo is quite a good one for this, or any of the noble hops really.

You have used fuggles and goldings already, both are noble hops so you could stick with whatever you have left over!

Latest posts

Back