Wilkinsons real ale kit.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was bottled on 13 August and it was pretty clear - unlike every Wherry i've ever done. It's now in the garage in 12x2L PET bottles. There wasn't enough left over for a decent taste, though, in fact not so much as a sniff. It might be worth trying this weekend or next, as the hoppiness tends not to last long.

Where did you get your 2l PET bottles ?
I'm getting a bit demented with 40 odd bottles each time.
:thumb:

You could use 17p asda bottled water for your brew then you're left with the 2ltr pets for your beer.
I use their water but I prefer to bottle mine in 500ml although it is a pita like you say.

The daughters drink pop, the wife sometimes has fizzy water and I myself like the odd dry cider.

The bottles you want for beer need really to be designed for fizzy drinks, with a smooth finish, as opposed to ridged. For this reason, I would question the wisdom of the 17p Tesco water bottles, but as always, am more than happy to be corrected by someone more knowledgeable.

You could ask around freinds, colleagues and relatives. They are fairly hard wearing and if they look a bit suspect, stop using them. I suspect brown cider bottles are best, in case of sunlight, which "skunks" beer.

Ok cheers guys,
I will be able to pick these up no prob.
Was just a bit worried in case everyone else was using a 2l version of the Coopers PET bottles !!!

This weekend sounds like a plan :cheers:

Weekend came early.
Tastes a bit toffee like and definitely some flavour from the unfashionable hops (Bouclier). Very clear, even so early and most certainly not a Wherry clone.

Wherry is quite hoppy and without the addition, this would not be IMO.

Also the taste is just very different and the colour darker.

Looking forward to the rest of this. it's not a bad beer at all.

Weekend came early.
Tastes a bit toffee like and definitely some flavour from the unfashionable hops (Bouclier). Very clear, even so early and most certainly not a Wherry clone.

Sounds promising mate,mines still bubbling away,think I've put too much fermentables in !
My weekends started early too,drinking an American Pale Ale.
Thursday must be the new Friday :hat:

Weekend came early.

Any update mate ?
I'm not familiar with the hop - "Bouclier "?
What mines will taste like is anybody's guess but 3kg of liquid malt for the sale price is a good starting point for a decent brew I hope.
1 more question,do you pour your 2l bottle out in one go or do you find the sediment stays put when pouring,I've had mixed results.
Thanks

I think I've only had 1 or 2 bottles of this and none last weekend. Bouclier is an experimental hop and the stuff I got was a bit old - not overpowering and quite delicate.

Will try again this weekend and post up.

I pour all a 2L bottle out at once - first into a pint glass, then a 2L plastic jug (Wilko) and the dregs into a smaller glass, once the yeast is visibly going into the jug, back off and pour into the third glass.

This is really quite good - very clear, IME the Wilko yeast does not clear too well, but this is very clear already.

Very good taste, with a slight flavour from the added hops.

Hi mate,
I've just had my first bottle of this,maybe I just didn't realise what real ale tastes like ?:doh:
I might just be able to drink it :pray:
Next value kit will be GOLDEN ALE !!!!
It looks good though,even better when I will be able to see through it :drunk:

This is now drinkable,very....
I am drinking it before my Coopers Cerveza and Canadian Blonde,both ok but won't be rushing to do them again.
In shed to brew is a Festival Pilgrims Hope,Brewferm Triple,Youngs,IPA and a Breferm Framboise
All good brews I hope

This finished about 2 days ago and obviously needed to test it!

Already drinkable I'll say

Colour: Well, at present it's brown and cloudy! Not fussed about clearing darker ales.
Nose: A classic and wonderful sweet-malty smell
Taste: Again a nice classic malty taste (not too strong) with a slight sweet caramel/toffee taste and good body. Has a nice crisp bitterness at the back of the mouth after the malt and caramel flavors.

Got this is the sale and it's well worth ago if you like a classic ale. Very excited to try the golden ale.

EDIT: Just finished a pint and the flavours really come through half way down, the bitterness with a nice malt and toffee taste is great. Well done Wilko.

Glad I didn't barrel it tonight or I would have had a headache in the morning!!!! :cheers::thumb:

I have bought two of these in the sale and looking forward to giving them ago. I have also done the Caxton real ale (one can) and brewed it short and added 500 g etc sugar...6.3%. Will be interesting to do a comparison later between the two kits.

55th brew Wilko Real ale two can kit 01/10/14. OG 1044, pitched at 22 degrees. Taste at brew rich malty but with very bitter tones all the way through. Interestingly this smelt at brew like a Wherry but has a much more bitter profile at this stage. Be interesting to see how this beer will change over time. At the moment the bitterness is quite unpleasant. Tasted this on the 09/10/14 and it was very nice. However it was disappointingly still at 1020 and I hope it isn't stuck. Gave it a stir on the 11/10/14 to see if I can reenergise it

After a week warm conditioning following bottling I had a taste test. Lovely beer this..good carbonation, very much like a cross between the Golden ale and a Wherry in my opinion...so a Wherry with a strong hint of bitterness at this stage. I really like this beer!

Oh and I left in in the FV for a week longer with a blanket to bring down the gravity and in ended up around 1010/12.

I've got one of these kits waiting to be brewed and was thinking of trying to turn it into a Christmas brew (I know I'm leaving it a bit late) but was wondering if anyone had tried some spice in it such as cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg etc and if so how and when would you add them?

Been over a month a half since I brewed this but this is still very bitter...I was hoping it would mellow by now..hope it changes as it is quite a promising beer but bitterness without a real hop profile just doesn't work for me.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a homebrew kit for a beginner? I've tried a cider (got too warm) and a beer (no idea what went wrong). Before I lose faith completely are there any reasonably priced two-can style kits? How about the Woodeford kits? Ideally I'm after a balanced amber ale similar to Doombar or Tribute.

Ideally I'm after a balanced amber ale similar to Doombar or Tribute.

You'll struggle to get close to those with a 2-can kit: those beers are complex and hoppy. Despite all the advertising blurb I've yet to taste a 2-can kit that has the stated infused hops, if you want hoppy you need separate hops IMHO.

Sounds like you've done a couple of kits and know the basics, so how about giving a Tribute Extract recipe pack a go? A little more complex than 2-can kits (you'll need to get a boil going and drop hops in at certain intervals) but not that complex, and you will end up with a beer close to Tribute:
http://www.brewuk.co.uk/tribute-extract-recipe.html

Latest posts

Back