Bottle Conditioned Beer List

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored
Reaction score
This list of bottled conditoned beer is from another forum. Some of the beers may have changed and the brewery may have changed from bottle conditioning to filtering as the list is from 2012. So check the bottle for the phrase 'bottle conditioned' before buying (although it may not always state the beer is bottle conditioned even if it is)

Adnams (mini-kegs contain the primary dual-strain, but bottles do not)
Adnams Tally Ho
Brugse Zot - Sold in M&S
Butts Brewery - Barbus Barbus
Cantillon (classic source for diverse lambic cultures)
Cheddar Ales - All of their bottled beers appear to be bottle conditioned
Chimay
Coniston Bluebird Bitter
Coopers
Courage (some)
Crouch Vale - Aquired from the defunct Ridley Brewery (WLP022 Essex Ale yeast is supposed to be this strain)
D'Achouffe
DeDolle (excellent Belgian multi-strain)
DuPont (classic saison culture, but reportedly a triple-strain, results vary)
Duvel (probably contains primary strain, some dispute)
Fullers Bengal Lancer and 1845 (extremely popular)
Greene King - Heritage Series Ales (Suffolk Pale Ale and Vintage Fine Ale) contain original GK strain. Available from selected Tesco's
All Hobson's - Old Prickly, Town Crier, Hobson's Manor, Shropshire Stout, Postman's knock, Old Henry.The yeast, a classic top-fermenting ale strain, was originally sourced from Midlands family brewer Holdens
Hacker Pschorr (Munich Kellerbier)
Harpoon UFO white - wheat beer. Can be bought in ASDA
Harvey's Imperial Extra Double Stout
Hook Norton (some Flagship IPA and Double Stout bottles are believed to contain primary strain)
Hopback Summer Lightning (may now not be bottle conditioned. No longer states so on Hopback website)
Hopback Crop Circle
Itchen Valley Godfathers
Kindl Weiss (good Berliner Weiss lacto blend)
Lizard Ales
Marble?
Maredsous (yes-primary, but same as Duvel)
Marstons (some: Oyster Stout or Tesco's IPA?)Pedigree
Morland Hen's Tooth
M&S Cornish Ale - St Austell Brewery
M&S Cornish IPA - St Austell Brewery
M&S Lancashire Dark Mild - Thwaites
M&S Norfolk Bitter - Woodforde's
M&S Yorkshire Best Bitter - Hambleton
Norg O (available at tesco)
Old Luxters Barn Ale and IPA
Ommegang
Orval (excellent blend of Belgian primary strain + brett)
Ridgeway Bad Elf, Lump of Coal, probably others (brewed by Hepworth, same primary dual strain used in bottles)
Rochefort
Samuel Smith Stingo
Savour British Saison - Buy from Waitrose
Schneider Weiss (supposedly the only hefeweizen bottled with primary strain)
Sharps (some, perhaps the only way to obtain historic Morrells strain. Sharp's 6 vintage blend available at whole foods market http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/list/uk)
Shepherd Neame 1698
Sierra Nevada (may not be primary strain)
St. Austell Proper Job and Black Job - Very clean. Favourable to hop orientated pales and IPA's
Tesco's "Finest Belgian Abbey Ale" by the Huyghe Brewery
Thomas Hardy (some)
Thwaites (some)
Unibroue (a Belgian-style brewery in Canada, very spicy, a mutation of Chimay?)
Union Summer Wheat - Possibly Safale WB06
Wibblers - Most of their beers seem to be bottle conditioned. They got this from Crouch Vale brewery who got it from the now defunct Ridleys brewery. WLP022 Essex ale is supposed to be this strain. One of the historic whitbread strains (B i think). You can also buy brewery yeast from their online shop for
Westmalle
Westvleteren
Widmer Hefeweizen (not a true Hefeweizen strain, Americanized version of historic Zum Uerige alt strain)
Wiper and True. All bottled beers appear to be bottle conditioned
Worthington White Shield (probably not primary strain, but a nice high-attenuating strain anyway)
Wye Valley (filtered but then bottle-conditioned with fresh, primary, single-strain)
Youngs Special London Ale

Sour Beers - The mad fermentationist maintains a list of bottle conditioned sour beers here: https://www.themadfermentationist.com/p/dreg-list.html?m=1 but PLEASE NOTE This is an American list so many of the beers will not be available (at least easily) here in the UK

A couple more ideas for fresh yeast:
Many local microbreweries have imperfect filtration, and likely skip reseeding with a secondary yeast, so it's always worth a try.

Just because a beer doesn't specifically state "bottle-conditioned" doesn't automatically rule it out. If you hold it up to the light and see a layer of white at the bottom, that's yeast.

CAMRA produce a 'Good bottled beer Guide' all the beers in this Guide are bottle conditioned
http://www.camra.org.uk/good-bottled-beer-guide

Howver if you go onto amazon books and go onto the guide, above the picture of the front cover their is a 'look inside' tab. Click on this and you can have a look at a few select pages. This includes the index which lists all the beers in the book.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1852493097/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

If you mooch around on ebay and look for 'vintage ales' you can often get you hands on bottle conditioned beers. Some of these vintage ales have strains in them from now defunct breweries or breweries that used to bottle condition beers but no longer do so (e.g. guinness). Despite some of these vintage ales being decades old they still have viable yeast in them that can be cultured up. The bottles often wont have 'bottle conditioned' on them so it's a bit of a gamble if you buy one but you can get you're hands on some classic strains this way

Thanks to @foxbat for list on continental lager, hefe, etc

https://hobbybrauer.de/forum/wiki/doku.php/hefestripping

"It's in German but it's easy to read. The first list, Untergärig, means bottom-fermenting (real lager yeasts). The second list, Obergärig, means top-fermenting and these will be the ale yeasts. The final list, Ungeeignete, are the unsuitable beers. Presumably these bottles do not contain the primary strain."

Last edited:
From what I've read, for English ale yeasts Fullers, Adnams, Young's, Hop back, Morland and Brakspear are good options. I don't think Oxford Gold is still bottle conditioned.

The Thwaites is a good option too but they were taken over by Marstons earlier this year so I'm not sure whether their bottling is still the same?

I thought the other day that we need a thread like this. I have been given a pack of 6 Belgian ales all are secondary in the bottle. Will post a list later.

These is what I have augustijn blond, augustijn dark, augustijn grand cru, piraat, gulden draak & gulden draak 9000 quadruple

I know they have a Vermont ESB in 750ml bottles. I know they've started using vermont in their new IPAs too for extra mouthfeel.

I'll ask 'em what else they use...

They released an Imperial Stout in 750ml - £14 a bottle though :-?

CloudwaterImperialStout-650x236.jpg

You mean the conan strain?

No idea, I'm afraid. Sorry! Just got the info from these reviews:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzpzaGu9XdQ[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGDQkAyb_kQ[/ame]

They released an Imperial Stout in 750ml - �£14 a bottle though :-?

CloudwaterImperialStout-650x236.jpg

Don't think I'll be buying any!

I'm all over that vermont strain if it's the conan yeast. Malt miller have it but it's £7.38. There's a independant off liscense type shop near me that I noticed had a board saying they had cloud water beer in soon/recently (cant remember which). I think the vermont strain will be perfect for my Peckham Pale ales. I'm culturing up the shepard neame strain at the mo but I'll deffo do the vermont strain after- cheers! :hat:

@machin05 I just watched the first vid and he said that it's the same yeast as in Heady topper beer which is the conan strain. So that'll save me 7 quid. I'm on it like a car bonnet :mrgreen::thumb:

@machin05 I just watched the first vid and he said that it's the same yeast as in Heady topper beer which is the conan strain. So that'll save me 7 quid. I'm on it like a car bonnet :mrgreen::thumb:

Awesome! Glad it helped :thumb:

Bear in mind that only the Vermont ESB is bottle conditioned.

I came across a Great British Beer Festival Programme from 2013 which I had forgotten about. In it were several 'Real Ale in Bottles', or RAIBs to CAMRA folk, bottle conditioned to the rest of us. I have checked those listed in the OP against this and these are the ones that are not on our list i.e. additional. I have no way of knowing whether they are still bottled conditioned or not, or even still available.
Beowulf (Staffs) - Dragon Smoke Stout 5.3%
Conwy (N W Wales) - Clogwyn Gold 3.6%
Harveys (E. Sussex) - Imperial Extra Double Stout 9% :-o
Hopshackle (Lincs) - Restoration 9% :eek:
Marble (Gtr Man) - Chocolate Marble 5.3%
Marble ( Gtr Man) - Lagonda IPA 5%
Neath (Glam) - Black 5.5%
O'Hanlons (Devon) - Port Stout 4.8%
Old Bear (W Yorks) - Black Mari'a 4.2%
Spire (Derbys) Sgt Pepper Stout 5.5%
Stewart (Edinburgh) - Embra 5.5%
St Giles - ? 5%
Wells & Youngs (Beds) - Youngs Special London Ale 6.4%
Woodforde's (Norfolk) Nelson's Revenge 4.5%

So the citra IPA isn't then I take it?

Not from what I understand. Cloudwater have said that only their 750ml bottles are conditioned, and the Citra IPA only comes in 330ml. All the 330ml bottles I've had from Cloudwater have been bright.

Not from what I understand. Cloudwater have said that only their 750ml bottles are conditioned, and the Citra IPA only comes in 330ml. All the 330ml bottles I've had from Cloudwater have been bright.

Thats a shame as the 750ml Vermont ESB is about a tenner from what I've seen of prices online

Back