Coopers Sparkling Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Worcester1

Reaction score
Anyone brewed this kit? The recipe for the added sugars/malt on the can is a bit "fussy" so I simply added 1.5kg Light Liquid Malt extract. It's been bubbling away for three weeks now. Just about finished, now, but it's really surprised me how long it's taken. It was on a heat pad for two weeks so temperature was stable. Anyone else found this brew to take so long to ferment out?

Anyone brewed this kit? The recipe for the added sugars/malt on the can is a bit "fussy" so I simply added 1.5kg Light Liquid Malt extract. It's been bubbling away for three weeks now. Just about finished, now, but it's really surprised me how long it's taken. It was on a heat pad for two weeks so temperature was stable. Anyone else found this brew to take so long to ferment out?
What temperature did you have for the primary?
I haven't done this particular Coopers kit but have done six other beer types from their range, and using their yeast and a temperature in the 18-20*C area and from an OG usually about 1.045 find they have pretty much finished within about four or five days (although I leave them longer in the FV) and end up in the 1.010-1.012 area.

I brewed this about a year ago and it was in FV for 22 days at 18 C but only got down to 1014 from 1054. I brewed it as instructions which was 1.5 liquid malt, 500G spray malt and 300G brewing sugar. From what I remember it was a nice drink but I would have left it in bottle for 8 to 10 weeks before trying and then another few weeks before drinking.

but only got down to 1014 from 1054.
Ian
You actually did reasonably well then! That's 74% attenuation, which is better than most of the Coopers kits I have done. Their norm, from what I understand, is about 72%.

Worcester1
SG 1.004, that's low, no beer I have done ever got that far down. Without setting the hare running, you may have got an infection, since I understand wild yeasts can keep going. Others may be able to advise you on this.

Well I bottled it today and whilst a bit cloudy still it tasted ok. Quite dry and hoppy, so fingers crossed for cracking open the first bottle in a few weeks' time!

I've been brewing again for just over a year and done almost 20 kits so far without a duff batch to date.One brew (can't recall which) went down to 1.001

Well I bottled it today and whilst a bit cloudy still it tasted ok. Quite dry and hoppy, so fingers crossed for cracking open the first bottle in a few weeks' time!

I've been brewing again for just over a year and done almost 20 kits so far without a duff batch to date.One brew (can't recall which) went down to 1.001

I am going to suggest that you try out your hydrometer with water at 20C. This reads 1.000. If yours reads 0.995 or something, it just means that there a calibration issue with your hydrometer.

The Coopers yeast is unlikely to ferment down to 1.004.

I'll give it a go. I've done four other Coopers kits, the Australian Pale Ale, Stout, Real Ale and the Dark Ale. All have been excellent

Back