Eating whole grain is good! YAY!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just seen this report on AOL ...

http://www.aol.co.uk/2017/02/10/eating-whole-grains-could-help-you-burn-more-calories/?ncid=webmail

... so it looks as if spent grain isn't just cheap it's also good for you! :thumb:

Also, remember the photograph below?

Rather than dump the grains in the bin, I mixed them together without further milling, stirred in a teaspoonful of dried bread yeast and a teaspoonful of salt, slowly added water (and still got it too wet again :doh:), mixed in enough flour to be able to roll it out and then cut it into "scones" with a whisky glass.

After letting them rise for an hour I baked them in a cool oven (160 degrees) until they dried out enough to turn them over and complete the baking.

They are absolutely delicious! Bread with a genuine "malt" taste ('cos they're made from malted barley) ... :thumb:

... but the husks get between my teeth! :doh:

Plan B is, rather than mill malted grain specifically to make a malt loaf, I will sieve out most of the flour generated from the next few brews before I mash the cracked grains.

That way, I won't be too worried if I generate some flour during milling; plus I will be leaving out the husks and minimising the chance of "clumping" in a mash and cloudy wort. :thumb:

God I love this hobby! :lol: :lol:

Milled Grains.jpg

I have in the past dried them out in oven and mixed with peanut butter and honey. Set them in the fridge. Made a tasty snack bar.

Stuff the neighbour's hens - I'm gonna try making something along these lines with my next lot of spent grain. Well maybe I'll save them a little cos I'm soft like that.

Back