Cromarty AKA IPA yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonBrew

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hello. Back in October I managed to culture the yeast from the sediment in a bottle of AKA IPA - an outstanding IPA! this beer isn't bottle conditioned/carbonated but must not be filtered particularly aggressively which is good.

I contacted Cromarty to ask about the strain they use (I believe it is a 'house' strain) but they have sadly not responded. Perhaps they found my request cheeky!

I appreciate this is a massive long shot but I'm wondering if anyone else on here has cultured from a Cromarty bottle and have subsequently used it in a brew? Looking to understand optimum temps and characteristics etc.

Both starters I have built up have produced very clean, almost lager like, tasting beer but this is of course based on un-hopped DME.

Cheers!​

Thanks for the suggestion. However I decided to go in all guns blazing (partly due to necessity as it waz the only viable yeast I had) and pitched a full built up starter into a half batch of America IPA.

Prior to pitching I noticed a faint sulphur aroma which caused some alarm. The starter beer tasted OK if ever so slightly tart.

Sadly for a variety of reasons the brew day was one of my worst to date so if this yeast sucks it will be fitting of nothing else.

Back