Ford focus vs Citroen Picasso

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RexBanner

Reaction score
Eyup all,
Me n herself are after a new car and have 2 in mind. A 2008 petrol 1.6 zetec ford focus with 83k on click and has had replacement water pump and timing belt.

Or, a 2009 1.6 diesel xsara picasso diesel with 41k on the clocks.

The picasso is about £30 a month more finance wuse and on average i do about 6 hundred miles a month.

Dont know which is better to be honest. Space isnt that important but ill be stuck with it for 5 years.

Anyone had any of these cars or got any opinions on it?

look at the resale price cost of part overall running cost
I have the 2016 grand c4 Picasso 1.4 diesel
this is my third picasso
grate to run plenty of room good on fuel
I go with the Picasso every time don't like fords never have and never will

55 mpg for the diesel xsara and 37 mpg for the petrol ford focus so if i am right with petrol/diesel at today's prices you would save approximate £26 a month by running the diesel but are paying £30 a month more for the car, you may find the road tax for the diesel is a bit less.

My brother had a Focus and i am sure it was 1000,000 for the cam belt so unless the water pump failed and they decided to put a new belt on at the same time i would be a bit wary.

Is there a reason you have mentioned these two cars?

55 mpg for the diesel xsara and 37 mpg for the petrol ford focus so if i am right with petrol/diesel at today's prices you would save approximate �£26 a month by running the diesel but are paying �£30 a month more for the car, you may find the road tax for the diesel is a bit less.

My brother had a Focus and i am sure it was 1000,000 for the cam belt so unless the water pump failed and they decided to put a new belt on at the same time i would be a bit wary.

Is there a reason you have mentioned these two cars?

The focus seems to be a solid car, but ill be stuck wjth it for 5 years and reckon itll have a good 130k after that time.so a bit unsure. I've had a petrol picasso which died today and to be honest it was a great motor but boring.

My head says focus but heart days picasso.

Does it have to be a choice between these two cars?

After 3 days of looking these are pretty much what we narrowed it down to to be honest.
We have a little girl of 3 and have to be honest i never used all the space in picasso. Appart from tip runs. Also I quite like the idea of a car rather than an mpv

I have a ford fiesta at the moment and my last car was a picaso.
Picaso was a good car for me without any problem for the 5 year i had it.

I must admit I wouldn't change from a ford now, it's a smoother running car and has the extras that the picaso didn't have.
shop around mate plenty bargains going about, if you are doing a lot of miles a diesel would probaly be better for you. unless you go for the ecco ones.'

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/used-cars/ford/focus

Focus...if you had more kids I'd think about the people carrier...but the focus should do in terms of practicality

Have a look at the diesel Corsa 2006 on, much bigger inside than the previous model, 55+ MPG, £30 tax, cam chain so no belt to swap, nice to drive feels like a much bigger car.

I have a focus 1.6 diesel 2011 titanium. Don't get me wrong for what it does for me (I got it cheap as a mileage horse) it's fine. But it is slow, noisy at speed, and the mpg is 52mpg at best driving like an old dear. I've got two boys, a wife and a dog. And it ain't big enough I can tell you. The boot is tiny in comparison to allot of other similar models. If I'm honest the new focuses are pretty poor and I wouldn't recommend one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

or a KIA Sportage diesel. Nice car with all the bells and whistles

Do your research on reliability. Citroen use to be absolutely awful, but improved around that time. Ford used to be good but got worse around that time. Check for the actual year and model you want. Autotrader and Parkers websites are good for owners reviews. They should have some info on real life fuel economy in the reviews as well.

I have a 57 reg Ford Focus 2.0l (Duratec engine which was a problem engine produced by Ford) coupe cabriolet on my drive waiting until I come into some money any tome now (been waiting ages but nearly there) to fix or replace the engine. I learned a valuable lesson from it not ot just go by reputation of the manufacturer with that one, always check for the specific engine and model. I'm looking forward to getting it back on the road as it was a good car before the MOT failure on emissions.

I've got a Scenic as well as the Picasso. Great car til the cambelt snapped! Wrecked 14 valves but as it's such a nice drive got it fixed at mate's rates (400!) and all is well again. Only another 70k to do before the Picasso's belt is due!

I have owned some fords (Mondeo, Focus x 2) and I would not buy one again. They just fall apart and pumps etc break. The rep french cars have makes me avoid. I just buy Toyota at moment but have my eyes on a Fabia.

I have owned some fords (Mondeo, Focus x 2) and I would not buy one again. They just fall apart and pumps etc break. The rep french cars have makes me avoid. I just buy Toyota at moment but have my eyes on a Fabia.

I don't know if the reputation of French cars is justified or not, all I can say is that the Renault and Citroen I have now ( Renault for 5 years and 100k, Citroen for 2 years and 131k), have been by far and away the most reliable cars I've had (Vauxhalls,Fords,Kias,Seats to name a few). The Scenic cambelt debacle was not the car's fault - that lies with the lying dealer who said it had been changed at 72k when it hadn't. It eventually went at 77k.... thankfully he ain't in business anymore.

Back