Nokia 3310

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Is Nokia bringing back the 3310?

Who would want a retro phone?

Would you buy a phone like this to take where you wouldn't want to have your smart phone in your pocket?

nokia-3310.jpg

Is Nokia bringing back the 3310 and who would want a retro phone?

Rumours suggest that Nokia is planning to bring back their iconic Nokia 3310 phone.
Mobile users of a certain age have been getting very excited on social media about the return of this sturdy, reliable handset.
If you were in the market for a new phone in the year 2000, then the 3310 may have been on your wish-list.
But when Newsbeat contacted Nokia about the rumours, the company refused to comment.
"Though we're as excited as everyone else to hear their news, as we have often said about such stories, we do not comment on rumour or speculation," a spokesperson tells us.

It may seem unlikely in the world of Android and iPhones that anyone would want a 17-year-old handset that was best known for playing Snake, but the experts believe there is a place in the market.
"I'm fairly confident my grandmother could use a 3310, but she wouldn't know where to start with an iPhone or Android," Alistair Charlton, deputy technology editor at the IB Times, tells Newsbeat.
"You can take a £20 phone to a festival and leave your expensive, glass-fronted iPhone at home.
"Backpackers and the like probably appreciate them too, given their tough build, cheap price and long battery life."
Many smartphone users complain about their handset's battery and this could prove the main selling point for users.
"What an interest in the 3310 does show us though is that battery life is still a major concern for consumers, and one that's not being well-addressed by some smart phones, namely the iPhone," Elizabeth Varley, founder and CEO of tech community TechHub, tells Newsbeat.
And let's not forget, when Adele revealed the video for Hello back in 2015, she was seen in it making a call on a retro flip phone - not a smart device.

Around that time, the media reported a rise in people seeking old phones, as the 1990s were firmly back in fashion and people like Rihanna were walking round chatting on a chunky mobile.
So it's not just a phone for drug dealers, as many Twitter users seem to think.

Alistair also backs the author of the original source of the 3310 rumours, VentureBeat writer Evan Blass, as a credible source for technology leaks.
He describes the journalist as "a renowned tech leaker who is often accurate with his predictions."
But Alistair also says that to succeed in the current market, Nokia will need to update the 3310's basic features to be relevant in 2017.
"We don't communicate through calls and SMS as much as we did in the days of the 3310," he says.
"If it had an internet connection and access to WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger, then maybe it has a place."
But Elizabeth Varley doesn't believe Nokia's future can be built on models from the past.
"The best way forward is rarely backwards," she says.
"To really compete, innovation is the key."

BBC.

...the latest hipster gadget no doubt. .. £40 a month or buy for £600...probably..you see all these kids walking round in creepers thinking they are wearing the latest in shoes. ..

I don't need a new one. Still have my old one knocking about somewhere. It's probably in better working condition than the phone I'm using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too. I know it's in the house somewhere and I'd dearly love find it. It'll turn up one day when I'm least expecting it.

I had one, it worked well phone + txt only wouldn't have another need/want too many apps.

aamcle

Mrs Tea says we have one somewhere but I bet the charger was binned years ago.

My first one was the 3210

nokia-3210-m.jpg

I remember composing ring tones on it.

Although I was so proud when I got the polyphonic tones and colour screen

7210oranje.jpg

My first phone ever...
bc3ac79bdc1258c7ca9df6651c63184f.jpg

Being a techy I also had all the others mentioned on this thread!

But no I would never go backwards!

I was sure we had a 3310 but it turns out to be a 3510i, its had a hard life and unfortunately we cannot find the charger.

IMG_20170216_162806340.jpg

This was my first phone a Motorola (flip phone)

It was a lot smaller than other phones at that time as you can see below, they were analogue so you lost the call when you went between tall hills, you had to pull the aerial out to make calls and you couldn't even send text messages, hard to believe what we now have started out like this.

420190629cbebda7a77071edeafd2b5a.jpg

Compared to something like the 3310 you can see how big it was.

71122014_81b74aa753.jpg

It was still small compared to earlier phones.

_47701100_cooper_466.jpg

I knew if I kept mine long enough it'd come back into fashion..

Just got to wait for bell bottoms & flower power shirts to come back then.... :nah:

I use the internet a lot on my phone so it doesn't appeal to me, i can see people who are happy with a fairly basic phone buying one and at £41.51 its not expensive or maybe as a second phone when you don't want to risk breaking your all singing all dancing smart phone.

Back