Adding Spraymalt To Fermenter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shepp

Regular.
Reaction score
I have done a couple of brews that have been of the right OG but have been a couple of litres short in the fermenter.
I wondered if I was going to too up the fermenter, what would I need to do with the extra water and spraymalt I would use to make it up. Do I boil it for a certain amount of time or can it be dissolved in pre boiled warm water?

If you have a brew that short on its OG but is of the correct volume, can you just stir the spraymalt into the wort before adding yeast?

to work out sugar additions download one of the free brewing software offerings, the comprehensive beersmith needs a book to describe it and costs £10-15?? if you buy after a 14 day free trial, personally i use brewmate its pretty intuitive, and lets you see what modifications to a recipe be it all grain or extract based can have on the fly ;).

however to make up a nominal drop in og i would be tempted to use good ol white sugar especially if the mass is similar to that used for a priming charge (upto 200g) its flavour/body impact would be negligible and impossible to judge.

to add dme tho it would be best to dissolve in hot water first though that in itself is a chore, and if doing so remember to take the volume of water used into account too ..

to work out sugar additions download one of the free brewing software offerings, the comprehensive beersmith needs a book to describe it and costs �£10-15?? if you buy after a 14 day free trial, personally i use brewmate its pretty intuitive, and lets you see what modifications to a recipe be it all grain or extract based can have on the fly ;).

however to make up a nominal drop in og i would be tempted to use good ol white sugar especially if the mass is similar to that used for a priming charge (upto 200g) its flavour/body impact would be negligible and impossible to judge.

to add dme tho it would be best to dissolve in hot water first though that in itself is a chore, and if doing so remember to take the volume of water used into account too ..

I'm signed up to Brewers Friend, I'll see if there's similar on there.
Does DME dissolve easily in hot water?

Does DME dissolve easily in hot water?
easier perhaps, if left overnight it will dissolve on its own even in cold water,
thing is when first mixed its so hydroscopic (think thats the word.- water hungry..) that the outside of a clump absorbs all the liquid near by sealing in a dry mass, however if left alone it will eventually dissolve:whistle:

It sounds like you need to work out your efficiencies and losses for your system. If you're consistently a couple of litres below your target brew length then just add a couple of litres before the boil for your next brew. Obviously this will diluate your wort and decrease the og so increase your base grain by about 5-10% to compensate.

It sounds like you need to work out your efficiencies and losses for your system. If you're consistently a couple of litres below your target brew length then just add a couple of litres before the boil for your next brew. Obviously this will diluate your wort and decrease the og so increase your base grain by about 5-10% to compensate.

I need to increase liquor by two litres, as far as efficiency goes I think other factors are coming into play. My grain crush may be too fine, so I am adding rice hulls to improve circulation on my next brew. I also plan to stir the malt half way through mashing. I bought four custom all grain kits, made up for me in one go to save on postage. I never mentioned I had a Grainfather maybe he would have crushed to suit if I had.
I will see how is goes, probably have a brew day on Monday.

I have a Grainfather and you will see a big improvement on efficiency if you stir the grain once it has been in for a bit, I usually stir it 15 min after the mash has started, I almost always hit a higher OG than the recipe, except on really heavy grain bills, more than say 8kg's, haven't quite got that one sorted yet. I max out my grainfather aiming to get as much in the FV as possible, currently I am using 28 liters as a target in FV and it gives me about 27 liters of wort transferred, but once I have my extraction system up and running and can boil inside I will up it to 29 or 30, it is really full then but manageable.

Simply put yes you can add some DME mixed in water to the FV to bump it up, but long term it may be worth looking at improving your efficiency and getting your water volumes correct to suit.
Like you say the additional bitterness will be the fact you have the same hop schedule for 2L less.

I dont use a GF so cannot offer exact advice.. Got any figures to put up to see if they are normal?

Back