Sake Experiment 2

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tau

Landlord.
Reaction score
Well mentioned on discussion got around to doing yeasterday.

500g Sushi Sticky rice
540g Sugar
25g Amylase (alpha)
4 tsp citric acid
3 tsp Nutrient

Method:

Steamed rice, took nearly an hour. All contents into a saucepan with lid, 2 tsp of citric acid to reduce ph, topped up with boiling water and added 3 tsp of amylase to at start, kept for 1hr 15mins before rice filled entire pan like porridge. Transferred (should have started with) to 6ltr pressure cooker, topped up, added another tsp of citric and reheated , throughout day, each time adding a little more amylase. 12 hours on heat on off to maintain between 70-50c.

Dissolved 540g of sugar in dj, poured rice soup (only a few bits left that looked like rice) into dj and then added the remainder of amylase enzyme and 3 tsp of nutrient. After about an hour and a half of cooling added Harris yeast (18%) is currently fermenting.

It now looks more like gaviston milk and has the same consistency and hasn't seperated out. Just hoping that the yeast will metabolise the maltose and any dextrose.

Well mentioned on discussion got around to doing yeasterday.

500g Sushi Sticky rice
540g Sugar
25g Amylase (alpha)
4 tsp citric acid
3 tsp Nutrient

Method:

Steamed rice, took nearly an hour. All contents into a saucepan with lid, 2 tsp of citric acid to reduce ph, topped up with boiling water and added 3 tsp of amylase to being, kept for 1.15mins before rice filled entire pan like porridge. Transferred (should have started with) to 6ltr pressure cooker, topped up, added another tsp of citric and reheated , throughout day, each time adding a little more amylase. 12 hours on heat on off to maintain between 70-50c.

Dissolved 540g of sugar in dj, poured rice soup (only a few bits left that looked like rice) into dj and then added the remainder of amylase enzyme and 3 tsp of nutrient. After about an hour and a half of colling added Harris yeast (18%) is currently fermenting.

It now looks more like gaviston milk and has the same consistency and hasn't seperated out. Just hoping that the yeast will metabolise the maltose and any dextrose.

Best of luck, keep us updated as it's on my wish list of to do's

Sixteen days into fermentation, it's slowed right down although solution is less viscious than at start, it still looks like what a Mare in a stud farm is stuffed full of.

Would like to add barley, but will just thicken the pot even though b-amylase would help. So looks like I'll just add another heaped teaspoon of a-amylase as not sure that existing amylase hasn't denatured when last batch went in hot.

Ended up putting in 3 tsp of amylase.

Had finished fermenting, so strained into a steriled and steamed pillowcase and racke into new dj. Only managed to get 1.5 litres of liquid out of it, smelled like Sake (not brave enough yet to taste). So had added another 360g of sugar, 3 additional tsp of Alpha Amylase and as I topped up with boiling water changed the yeast to gvw as I was unsure it did metabolise the maltose. 2 Days later just starting to ferment again as whatever yeast became accustomed to the abv.

Just an update, still fermenting bubbling every 12 seconds. About an inch and a half of thick rice sediment, the rest is still a murky rice/starch looking like is is gradually clearing but looks a long way off. GV4 seems to be doing something other than the additional sucrose that I added 27 days ago. Hoping now that the amylase is still active and working through the starch and the gv4 metabolising the maltose.

Alas another failure, turned pink which indicates a type of fusarium bacteria which can infect grains like rice, corn, wheat or barley. Shouldn't have smelled it as it can be really toxic, down the drain washed out dj with soapy water, then toilet bleach for 15 min's and washed out, then more soapy water and scrubed and washd out, then sterilsing fluid stlightly more than recommended and left, will wash out tommorrow and reapply a fresh batch of fluid before using dj again.

Think I will give up with sake and just buy it it is too time consuming and can't be left unattended, even with koji kin could still have similiar issues with other moulds and bacteria.

What a shame after all that work, plus I was looking forward to getting to know how to do it!

Today I have made some fluffy Cinnamon Rolls using 20% spent grain after three disastrous attempts and comments from SWMBO such as "I don't know why you bother." (SWMBO being one of the "If you don't at first succeed; give up." brigade!)

So it must be worth another go ... :thumb:

... especially when you think that the amylaze was most probably provided in the form of spit when it was first manufactured! (An ingredient of quite a few African brews even today!) :whistle:

BTW, the product Quorn is produced using one of the Fusarium bacteria strains. Funny old world eh? :doh:

Cinnamon Rolls.jpg

Latest posts

Back