Damaged hydrometer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cqr

Reaction score
After taking a reading in my test jar, I got concerned about how I could have brewed my wine so low
I then noticed the bottom off the hydrometer was broken, it also had a very small amount of water in it
I had used it in the past directly in my FV
I normally spray it with starsan
Should I worry about lead/Mercury etc
I've got a new one now
I'd really would like to know if my wine is still drinkable

What is the metal ballast in hydrometers?

Older hydrometers use lead ballast, newer more environmentally friendly hydrometers use steel shot ballast.

We (I) broke a mercury thermometer making beer at work. Luckily the mercury was contained in some water which we decanted to a pop bottle with a screw on lid. Anyway, we looked online as to how to dispose of it,and it said 'take it to your local hazardous waste centre'. We had no idea obviously so after much faffing someone took it to their local dump to get advice. The bloke there just took One look at it and chucked it in the landfill!

So much for hazardous waste disposal.

Not sure what the lifetime of a hydrometer is but I was once led to believe that they do change in time if the resin inside becomes loose, this can affect readings.

Back