Old books

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wysh

Reaction score
Managed to find these in Tavistock.

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=6402&stc=1&d=1472195235

WP_20160825_22_17_58_Pro.jpg

Im pretty sure I had the one on the bottom left many moons ago..
"Amateur Winemaker Recipes"
and a fine book it was too, and I would say just as relevant today.

The other day I found my nan's Good Housekeeping Cookbook, 1942 edition. It is quite different from the modern edition SWMBO has. Aside from a chapter on cooking for "invalids and convalescents", it also has a chapter on country wines, which a fair few decent looking recipes, including blackberry wine and ginger wine.

I have read both of Ken Shales' books on beer ... they are good fun, I love the style, they are seriously out of date, you can almost see Felicity Kendal wandering round her garden in her welly boots.... but I did manage to pick up one very useful trick from one of his books ... despite everything. Excellent stuff.

Have one good housekeeping book from 1973 by SW Andrews, its not bad, covers country wine, cider and meads, his measures don't include grape in everything like a book by Ben Turner I have 'home wine making & brewing' pint of grape juice in everything.

I have read both of Ken Shales' books on beer ... they are good fun, I love the style, they are seriously out of date, you can almost see Felicity Kendal wandering round her garden in her welly boots.... but I did manage to pick up one very useful trick from one of his books ... despite everything. Excellent stuff.

Ooooooh! Felicty Kendal, I had (have) a real 'thing' for Felicity Kendal, yummy!

I'd known that my friend's grandad was a big home brewer (won competitions, and helped teach the guys that set up Mor Brewing in Dundee how to brew).

I was at his daughter's birthday party today and he said "I have one of my grandad's books upstairs if you want to borrow it". I thought he meant it was a book that belonged to his grandad (which would have been strange as he doesn't brew himself), but he actually meant that it is a book that his grandad wrote.

Published in 1986 (when I was 2 years old), I am currently reading "Brewing Lager" by John Alexander:

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back