The Flyers IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
113th beer 18/09/16 Red Baron. This beer is 4.5kg of Golden Promise, 300g Carapils, 300 Carared. Hops are 50g challenger for bittering, 24g the new flyer hops at 15 and 5 minutes, and 52 flyer at turn off. Pre boil Brix was 14 saying that the gravity will be 1057 which will be nearly six percent at 1012 but I may water this down a bit. I only got about 19l out of this so I topped it up to 23l with cold water. The Brix says its now 13 so will come out about 1053 which if it gets down to 1012 will be something like 5.2%. Hydrometer says the same. Colour is orangy. Using US 05 and taste at pitch is sweet with a bitter background that lasts. Not overly bitter but one that lingers at this stage - pleasant taste that I could carry on drinking!.

16/10/16 this is a really nice sweetish beer at this stage which is pretty young to be honest. Lovely light orange colour and no great hop profile but very smooth and drinkable. Must leave this for a few weeks to get a real idea of what these hops are like.

Back