Beer in Amsterdam

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RexBanner

Reaction score
Eyup all.
In August going to Amsterdamn for my 30th and was wondering if any of you have had any good beers/experiences there? If so which beers and bars etc.
What are prices like aswell? I hear it's fairly high.

Tbh the times I visited I was....ermmmm! I was p'd all the time...I couldn't go the Grugs thin due to my job..but all I say is there no beer etc that you can't see in there...
To me being safe! Amstel drought all the way..
Over 5 years of courtship with the lass I was alway drawn to the usual safe pint!
Doesn't help u but it brings back memories lol

There was an Irish bar near the Dam Square about 10 years ago when I was there. Had Kilkenny Red on draught. Was pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 for the windmill brewery, I've been on a tour which is an interesting half hour look round and you get tokens for beers afterwards included in the price of the tour. There's a small chain of beer bars called Gollem, I think there are four of them around the city and I can't remember which I've been to, but they have 15-20 beers on tap and well over 100 in bottles so cater for all tastes.

+1 for the windmill brewery, I've been on a tour which is an interesting half hour look round and you get tokens for beers afterwards included in the price of the tour. There's a small chain of beer bars called Gollem, I think there are four of them around the city and I can't remember which I've been to, but they have 15-20 beers on tap and well over 100 in bottles so cater for all tastes.

I'm back again in April so will have to check out the Gollem. I could happily live in Amsterdam.

Everything's available, but good dutch beer in my book is Amstel -standard lager style but better than UK version. My personal favourite: Hertog Jan (roughly pronounced: 'hairtok-yon'), I'm told it means Duke John. It's a maltier brew with a bit more body. My mate who lives there says it's called "shaking hands with the Duke". If you drink Heiniken - I don't BTW - it's much more palitable there than the UK version.

Been there a few times myself and liked Amstel alot.If you have time on your hands take a bus tour.We went to Harlem and Volendam and had a fantastic time.The country is beautiful and lots of other good points too👍

Sent from my ALE-L21

Shall give the windml tour a bash for sure and will definatepy visit the Gollim beer cafe's. Many thanks guys

Arendsnest - only serves Dutch craft beer - has something like 40 or 50 taps - great service and a nice location on the Herengracht.

Beer Temple - American beer bar - excellent selection of US beer on tap and in bottle, but can be a bit pricey and a bit of a dingy interior

In de Wildeman - old style Dutch bar with about 20 taps - usually a few interesting things

Brouwerij 't Ij - the windmill brewery that others have mentioned.

Oedipus brewery - now has its own taproom, but on the other side of the river to the touristy part of town

Bierkoning - just off Dam square, probably the best beershop in NL - Dutch and Belgian beer is usually well priced, but US stuff can be a bit eyewatering

Dutch beer to look out for: De Molen, Emelisse, Uiltje, Oedipus, Frontaal, 't Ij, Jopen, Kaapse.

Brouweij t'ij, troost, brouweij de Prael and oedipus are all good breweries worth checking.

Last time I was there I went to a great Belgian bar called westerdok which had loads of good stuff and the owner was very knowledgeable. Gollem pubs are really good as mentioned.

You can quite often get good Belgian beer on tap at many places.

Been a few times and my go to bars are in order of preference are In De Wilderman, Café De Dokter, and Gollem Beer Café. If you are looking for lots of quality beers bottled and on tap In De Wilderman is a must, great for Belgium beers. Have a look on TripAdvisor at these.

Have a great trip 👍👍

Back