Breaking news

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Firstly this is hypocrisy by the supermarkets. ...when there's plenty of it they chuck most of it away! There's probably the right amount now ..
I've got some broccoli in my fridge....it's ���£20 if any one is interested. ..
Spinach,cabbage,onions,kale,sprouts,parsnips,celeriac ,from the allotment. ..

Cheers

Clint

Yes clint i have a garden full of greens and brussels, grow all my own veg and fruit (havent cracked bananas and mangos yet) but grow great soft fruit . Nursing onion seedlings at the minute seed sown boxing day. My veg is in the steamer within 5mins of being picked. Supermarkets just jump on any chance to up prices. Mind the energy companies are bigger parasites.

Who cares... it's lettuce! But Asda haven't had any Aromatica or Picallo tomatoes every time I've been for the last few weeks. Now that is a disaster but I haven't seen them mentioned re shortage. What gives?

Who cares... it's lettuce! But Asda haven't had any Aromatica or Picallo tomatoes every time I've been for the last few weeks. Now that is a disaster but I haven't seen them mentioned re shortage. What gives?

Has " Johnny Foreigner" not heard of poly tunnels or greenhouses?
I would have thought that most tomatoes were grown in these.

fruit & veg as reported by the Daily Mail ... sounds like scare mongering to me ... maybe they forgot to mention Kim Kardashian ... she has some nice veg so I have been told.

Pictures from the Mail, £50 a box :shock: cannot beat a bit of profiteering. :lol:

3CC51DC100000578-4185686-Tesco_started-m-82_1486066435442.jpg

3CC9BAA000000578-4185686-image-a-15_1486109487408.jpg

3CC4CCBE00000578-4185686-image-a-9_1486073515920.jpg

3CCAD11C00000578-4185686-image-m-33_1486121453900.jpg

fruit & veg as reported by the Daily Mail ... sounds like scare mongering to me ... maybe they forgot to mention Kim Kardashian ... she has some nice veg so I have been told.

Yes she has allegedly , I can remember once asking my grandad why all the fat girls in the village were pregnant, he replied 14 halfs of bitter and lime , double chips and gravy followed by Meat and two veg every night is whats causing it. :lol:

Lidl didn't seem to care how many lettuces you bought, plenty there.

I must admit my own sprouts and broccoli have been slow this year

I'm very much in the "eat what's in season" camp, but I have the luxury that my wife is a farmer. She does small scale permaculture. Using these principles it's not hard to grow a lot of fruit and veg in a small space, and as part of it is about efficiency of growing I find it really hits a spot with engineers.

Home grown veg taste amazing. For anyone who wants to get started I'd recommend potatoes. They can be grown in and old plastic fermenting bucket, and they're pretty robust and acclimatised to some questionable weather conditions.

I'm very much in the "eat what's in season" camp, but I have the luxury that my wife is a farmer. She does small scale permaculture. Using these principles it's not hard to grow a lot of fruit and veg in a small space, and as part of it is about efficiency of growing I find it really hits a spot with engineers.

Home grown veg taste amazing. For anyone who wants to get started I'd recommend potatoes. They can be grown in and old plastic fermenting bucket, and they're pretty robust and acclimatised to some questionable weather conditions.

Yes potatoes will grow in any thing , i used to grow them in my Ears has a kid according to my mother:lol:

Wait for it, you know it's coming... the scarcity of vegetables can be blamed on global warming which has caused the extreme cold. Failing that,try Brexit.

Wait for it, you know it's coming... the scarcity of vegetables can be blamed on global warming which has caused the extreme cold. Failing that,try Brexit.

Gunge it could be Donald Trumps fault, every thing else is at the minute

I had to give my allotment up when the kids came along. Your own veg is amazing!

I wish my Dad had given up his allotment when I came along! :thumb:

Aged from six to thirteen I got paid 2/6d (12½p in new money) to dig over his allotment before the winter frosts arrived. :doh:

The patches that had the kale and brussels sprouts in them were left for winter vegetables so I was allowed (ordered?) to leave them until the spring; which was when I got paid.

I even had my own spade ... :thumb:

... and I have hated gardening ever since! :oops:

I wish my Dad had given up his allotment when I came along! :thumb:

Aged from six to thirteen I got paid 2/6d (12½p in new money) to dig over his allotment before the winter frosts arrived. :doh:

The patches that had the kale and brussels sprouts in them were left for winter vegetables so I was allowed (ordered?) to leave them until the spring; which was when I got paid.

I even had my own spade ... :thumb:

... and I have hated gardening ever since! :oops:

Dutto has god is my witness i was just the same but i didnt get paid i used to dig a thousand square yards, i had a old wooden handled spade that belonged to my grandad. it was only three quarter size to todays spades. we grew a vast amount of produce , had 200 chickens duck geese etc. we grew 1000 big onions spuds greens every thing, still today i have land at home and grow every thing my self ,.

Dutto has god is my witness i was just the same but i didnt get paid i used to dig a thousand square yards, i had a old wooden handled spade that belonged to my grandad. it was only three quarter size to todays spades. we grew a vast amount of produce , had 200 chickens duck geese etc. we grew 1000 big onions spuds greens every thing, still today i have land at home and grow every thing my self ,.

Perhaps it was because my spade was known as "a ladies spade" that I hated using it. :whistle:

My Old Man, suffering from angina at the time, had a heart attack when he was 67 years old. The doctor arrived, examined him in the bedroom and then the Doc and I sat in the kitchen for a cuppa.

When I asked what I needed to do to help the Old Man he replied "Nothing really. He could go in the next ten minutes or last another ten years." I was amazed so I asked him a few questions:

o Smoking? "Oh I know he smokes about 10 a day." His hair, which was as white as a sheet, was actually tinged a ginger brown from the smoke of 60 fags a day.

o Garden? "Oh I know he does a bit of gardening." He had nearly half an acre of garden which he dug with a spade and sold excess produce from the front gate.

o Chickens? "I know he has a few chickens." He actually had 450 of them and sold the eggs from the front gate as well.

o Ducks? "What ducks?" He always lifted at least 40 wild Mallard eggs from the local pond, got a broody hen to hatch them off and then released them back into the wild.

o Pigeons? "I know he has some pigeons." Like 350 of them. Two racing lofts and a retirement loft. Raced "North Road" every week in the summer.

The Doc said "He can keep the pigeons, the chickens and ducks have to go and he will need help if he keeps up the gardening." and walked back into Dad's bedroom. I immediately knew that the Old Man was seriously ill when I heard the doctor say "You're wasting my f*cking time." and the Old Man didn't get out of bed and deck him for using "Pit Language" in the house!

Before Dad got out of bed, I got rid of the chickens and their sheds, bought him a Rotavator, re-arranged the sheds in the garden and laid a concrete path to link the sheds and the lofts together.

Dad enjoyed another ten years of life before the silicosis and pneumoconiosis finally over-taxed his heart and he died ...

... of a heart attack whilst attending a Pigeon Club meeting! :thumb:

Way to go eh? :thumb: :thumb:

Latest posts

Back