Impatience! - Can't wait to try my first BIAB

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sozzled

Reaction score
Hi Chaps,

So, I made a hoppy APA and it was bottled about a week ago now.

It's my very first AG/BIAB and the smell from the FV and the taster I took when measuring the gravity were lush!

I don't know if I'm going to be able to wait another 3 weeks. Am I on the road to disappointment if I crack one open on Friday?

I think I'm looking to you guys to help my willpower hold!

I'd try it Friday just for quality control purposes if I were you. I'm finding that ag is ready a lot sooner than a kit would be.

How big a batch?

One or two early testers across a 23l brew isn't bad but could 25% if it was just a demi John.

For future brews you can borrow my trick of using a couple of 330ml bottle's as testers.

I would wait at least another week for a taster though

Try it, some hoppy beers are great after a week or two...if it tastes great you might as well get stuck in rather than waiting and the hop flavour and aroma fading before you can drink it all.

My first AG BIAB has been in the barrel for a week on Saturday and I shall be having at least one off of it this weekend to see what it's like, if it's good I'll have a another, if not then it's nice to see how the flavours change over a period of time going forward.

Well there's a couple of bottles in the Fridge. You know, just in case one wasn't enough :lol:

A week is long enough to carbonate. 1 to test and if you like it enough why not drink it? We do this to enjoy the beer and if its good enough to enjoy I dont see a problem with having it now. I do think it would be a good idea to save at least some though to sample at different times and see how conditioning affects it. And it you drink too much now you may be disappointed you had too much early on and didnt allow it to improve, but then again you can just make another batch and leave it longer next time..

Just crack it open and tell yourself it is in teh name of science on how this brew evolves throughout the process which you can cooked up.

Soooo, whats it like xD I cant have mine until I've done a pick up at 10 :(

Well, sadly it was awful.

I think I might have over primed this batch. There was still a really strong sugary sweetness that completely overpowered everything else.

It didn't marry well at all with the bitterness and malt flavours that were underlying.

One bottle back in the airing cupboard for another week and the one bottle sacrificed to the drain gods.

Oh no! That's not so good. Could you post the recipe? What was your FG?

It was a kit that came with the BIAB stuff. I don't know the actual break down of the grain bill I'm afraid, but it was 6KG.

The kit had the items below

Premium Grain; Maris Otter Pale Ale , Munich, Crystal and Wheat
Hops; Magnum, Cascade and Centennial
Whirlfloc tablet is included
Fermentis US 05 West Coast Ale Yeast

Mine came out at well under 23 Litres, closer to 16.

OG was 1.054 and the FG was 1.010

But I used 125G of table sugar to prime and I think that's my mistake here.

I'm sure it will be ok if I leave it long enough (as long as none of the bottle explode :))

125g is a fair bit for a 16l batch. Your FG was fine so as long as you mixed the sugar in well and leave it for a wee while it'll dry out. Should make for a lively beer!

It was a kit that came with the BIAB stuff. I don't know the actual break down of the grain bill I'm afraid, but it was 6KG.

The kit had the items below

Premium Grain; Maris Otter Pale Ale , Munich, Crystal and Wheat
Hops; Magnum, Cascade and Centennial
Whirlfloc tablet is included
Fermentis US 05 West Coast Ale Yeast

Mine came out at well under 23 Litres, closer to 16.

OG was 1.054 and the FG was 1.010

But I used 125G of table sugar to prime and I think that's my mistake here.

I'm sure it will be ok if I leave it long enough (as long as none of the bottle explode :))

how was the carbonation thou ? One of mine was quite sweet but it wasn't carbonated very well, give it another week or two in the warm and hopefully the sweetness will be replace by bubbles :D

Latest posts

Back