What kind of grain is this?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerCat

Landlord.
Reaction score
East and West Grimblestbottom under the rye
Can anyone tell me if these are malted oats? As far as i remember they look similar to flaked barley and wheat. They don't look much like this. http://www.geterbrewed.com/malted-oats/

028.jpg

I guess the fact that you are asking is because you don't trust the label. One way you can find out for sure is to do a 100% oat mini mash with them. If they are malted then 20 mins at 62C should convert most of the starch to sugar, which will be sweet. If they aren't malted then they will stay as starch and won't be sweet.

EDIT: Just saw that those Golden oats are crystal, which will also be sweet. To work out the difference between the two, crystal oats would produce sweetness after a cold steep, but malted oats shouldn't.

Thanks everyone for your help. Naked oats they are then. Will try a cold steep as IanM suggested to see what they are like and contact the supplier for a replacement. At least it gives me the chance to experiment. Might try and use them in a Porter. A type of beer i have never had success with.

Latest posts

Back