What other hobbies do you have?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive just got in from fishing, nothing caught sadly but I try and go twice a week all through the year.
Also love surfing and the traveling that goes with it. Although since I promised myself to go at least twice a month after a three month road trip that took me all the way down to Morocco two years ago ive hardly been.

Building and riding bikes for me. I love them. Rode 4200km last year which was a PB.
Also enjoy surfing, climbing and camping. I spent 5 years restoring a 67 camper van and now enjoy going away with the dog for the weekend in the better weather. Hoping to take a crate of homemade along this year now I have another hobby.

I can't watch telly or play games, I just don't have the concentration span. I have a PS2 but I FIFA 2002 is about as far as I got with it!

4200km impressive! :hat:

I do 2150 miles (on my crappy apollo belmont) a year give or take. most miles in a week 70.1 done xmas week 2016. Is that ok for a 50 yr old it was done in the same week I drank 62 units :whistle:

I'm working on my second book and I love a game of talisman.

Brewing and cycling are the top 2 though.

Football n rugby was my passion but I don't follow it..don't know why but it just frustrates me haha!! Specially NUFC.

Mrs Tea is a Newcastle fan she is looking forward to seeing them back in the premier league next season.

Wanted to start a qualification for being a councillor for strokes victim and there family's. As well as counselling soldiers or ex soldiers for PDSD...will still try.

Go for it Bri sound very rewarding.

Aside from making beer, i rock climb(less than when i was younger), canoeing, sea & fly fishing, gundog training but my real passion is pigeon shooting!

I used to be a custom knife maker and leather sheath maker, including wallets etc. Been hard getting up in the international scene..but I managed a few views in magazine..including the the bible of all custom knifes Blade mag.
Used do classic side car racing..but retired for more n more tours around the world.
Loved to solo bike racing and after my strokes I had to part with my 7 motorbikes. Heavily into a the bike scene and was a member in a MCC up Scotland.
Loved my pc gaming but now it's a single mouse RTS games..
Photography was interesting for a while, but now I like to read on the net all about things my battered brain lost!
Wanted to start a qualification for being a councillor for strokes victim and there family's. As well as councilling soldiers or ex soldiers for PDSD...will still try.
Love wildlife programs, 70 & 80's music.
Football n rugby was my passion but I don't follow it..don't know why but it just frustrates me haha!! Specially NUFC.
A keen hill walker, but now just get around is hard. Wanting to do a charity walk Hadrian walk..I've done this years ago with a weighted Bergen.
As you can see there a lot of 'used to do' and 'I want to do'
But all in good time..
Still alive and that the best hobby lol
Wor lass n the bairn takes most of my time and then it's the HB'ing lol

I was so close to pressing the "Like" button, but then you used those horrible dirty letters "NUFC"!

Sticking to home brewing, growing veg and fish keeping now days , had to give up flashing when they started flashing back and got savaged by a very large German Shepard l:lol::lol:

Probably should start brewing lower abv beers mate 😂
That sounds like a night out in Alloa

Over the years had lots of hobbies, but don't really consider things as hobbies more learning experiences, become obsessed for a few months learn all I can then move on to the next interest. Don't see home brewing as a hobby more a basic necessity like cooking and eating, which I've also gone through and gardening all necessities. Fishing liked the idea could never sit still for long and would wonder off looking at other things. Fossil collecting (still do if I come across one) while learning geological structures, although history still a passion but more obscure papers written on tiny things that mesh and add to my gestalt world view. Same with any subject I study or look into.

I've done a couple of marathons and triathlons, I love the training, being out on my own running or on my bike with time to think (and plan beer recipes as a reward for exercising!). Since my little boy was born though that's fallen by the wayside and with number two on the way I could probably chuck my wetsuit and bike away for good at this point. I've got really into coding games on the iPad and I love detective and spy novels. I'm really into cooking and baking too, a bit more compatible with family life!

Sports give up young by 20, but still enjoy astronomy and astrophysics, genetics and biophysics, quantum physics and indepth biology. As a child had a collection of 78 different cancers to study and examine to indentify (bad parenting, who would give a 3 yr old 78 different cancers to examine?) Have fun running programs to test different drugs on cancer, searching seti data and other stuff and playing on ps4 blowing things up :)

I'm a gamer, PC mainly but I do have an xbox for GOW. Also woodturning and woodwork, bit of welding. Play a bit of guitar but was better at making the amps and effects pedals. I cycle a lot, mainly commuting but do manage to get out with the lads on the road bike or the mountain bike. My main sport is kitesurfing thou, love it ! Also Ride a motorbike but that again is commuting now a days.

I keep busy xD

Sports give up young by 20, but still enjoy astronomy and astrophysics, genetics and biophysics, quantum physics and indepth biology. As a child had a collection of 78 different cancers to study and examine to indentify (bad parenting, who would give a 3 yr old 78 different cancers to examine?) Have fun running programs to test different drugs on cancer, searching seti data and other stuff and playing on ps4 blowing things up :)

Forgot term been drinking alot of cider and wine :) Distibuted computing been doing this for years link to various projects:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_distributed_computing_projects

Mountain biking a bit, brewing is becoming a proper passion, travelling, both the uk for work and abroad for hols. Gardening, cooking, walking.

Similar to Tau in the way I latch on to something for a while, learn a lot about it then drop it.

Love audio books as I drive 30-40 hours a month on my own.

Two kids 5 and 3 take up most of my non-work time, although I'm starting to get some back and may soon reinvigorate my main pre-kid love which was hillwalking.

I think that's quite enough from me!

I didnt even think to include the gym in my garage. Try to do at least 3 hours a week, but as I have chronic fatigue I have to us it to manage my energy levels, too little and I get tired and too much and I get tired.

As for cycling, it used to be my main mode of transport from about age 13 until I was 28 when I finally got around to learning to drive. I once worked it out and did an average of about 100 miles a week for years and a total of about 140,000 lifetime miles taking a conservative estimate, it could well be 200,000.

I've also dabbled with an allotment, growing vegetables, hill walking and all sorts of things.

And I haven't even touched on that as a Christian I go to church, read my bible, do volunteer work with the homeless and local community.

I do a lot of smoking (meat, poultry, bacon, fish etc) in one of these ...

http://www.macsbbq.com/hot-smokers/frontier_elite

I find smoking to be very compatible with brewing. Spending an afternoon drinking beer whilst watching a smoker do its business is one of life's joyous pastimes. :thumb: :thumb:

I also cycle a bit. Back in 2015 I cycled 3,044km over a period of 182.8 hours and climbed 9,831 metres. The biggest climb was 196 metres and the longest ride 82 kilometres.

Last year I logged about 500km and all I can say is that cycling and a urinary tract infection do not go together! :doh:

I hope to do better this year! :thumb:

Recently relocated from Surrey to Lincolnshire so I currently spend a lot of time renovating a house, knocking a smallholding into shape and building a brewery.

On top of that I make a lot of charcuterie (nothing beats my rum-cured Apple smoked bacon), am streetfightering a ZX10R, hunting and playing clawhammer banjo.

Watching MUFC, tasting different beers, riding cycle (not in the winter though).

I'm coming up to the end of Uni though, so spending a lot of my free time writing up my dissertation...which is incredibly dull.

American Football is my big passion outside of homebrewing. When i was a younger man i played, even a couple of years at the highest level in the country (but i was very much a squad player, found my level when i dropped down a division). I retired when my daughter was born, but i took up coaching the sport when i was 25. I'm now the head coach of the York University team and my love for the game has changed radically. I used to love the physicality of it, in a weird sort of a way i used to like the dull ache i felt the day after the game. Now i enjoy watching players grow and develop. I also derive great pleasure in coaching games and guiding the team to victory.

Its a stupid sport, but its my stupid sport and i love it.

Fishing is my main hobby,alas not so many trips these days as not so keen to get out in the very cold weather:nono:.
Mostly trout fishing (i tie my own flies and have built a few rods)but have an annual coarse fishing holiday to west midlands every June/July:thumb:.Still manage to spend far too much on gear that i really don't need!.
Obviously my brewing and also have an N gauge rail setup of around 6 feet by 4 feet laid out in an L shape in the spare bedroom.

Back