annoying popup on forum login

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is it just me ? or is anyone else getting a highly annoying popup on logging into the forum advertising some popular brew discounts or some such?

Mods if it official please put a stop to it.. its an UBER turn off thankfully im blind to banner ads and such forth but popups get under my skin and are a pestilence and blight for web users ..

or if its a bug-get thats slipped into my browser via a sneaky plugin or some such i will get me coat :thumb:

Do you have adverts disabled in your settings?

Do you log in every time you visit?

just checked the forum settings and found the display ads option, and its off (now).

Yes i do log in on every visit, It should be automatic but my browser startup set has grown somewhat and not all sites login due i suspect to page loading lags.

This current session the pop up did not appear :)
PHEW!!

It was only with thbf, and i have over 10 browser tabs loading as default hence the ask..

A few months back I suddenly found that I had to login in every visit, even though the user name and password are remembered by my browser. I had assumed it was something on the site that had suddenly changed. I run Firefox, is it something in there that I should be resetting instead?

A few months back I suddenly found that I had to login in every visit, even though the user name and password are remembered by my browser. I had assumed it was something on the site that had suddenly changed. I run Firefox, is it something in there that I should be resetting instead?

I find if I clear history/cookies etc in Chrome it wipes out all saved passwords, maybe there is an option to not do passwords but since I don't do this very often it's not an issue typing them in again.

I find if I clear history/cookies etc in Chrome it wipes out all saved passwords, maybe there is an option to not do passwords but since I don't do this very often it's not an issue typing them in again.

Click on the three little dots, top right, then click History, then History again. Click Browsing Data from the left menu, then a pop up appears giving you lots of options. Uncheck Passwords and Autofill Form Data then delete the rest.

Click on the three little dots, top right, then click History, then History again. Click Browsing Data from the left menu, then a pop up appears giving you lots of options. Uncheck Passwords and Autofill Form Data then delete the rest.

Cheers, I normally just click through without reading!

Moving this to the snug as the original problem is sorted.

I use CCleaner to clean my PC/Laptop and run it regularly, there is a setting to move sites you regularly visit to a list where cookies are not deleted meaning you never have to log in again, well worth a look - http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

To do ths click options then cookies and move the ones you want to keep from the left column to the right column.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMAXlxZFrnA[/ame]

Noting it might be a cookie thing in Firefox from above (thanks folks) which means I have to log in every time, AND get the pop -up, I have now resolved the problem it seems.
Firefox>Tools>Options>General>History
My browser previously set to delete all cookies on browser closing.
Under Exceptions I have now added thehomebrewforum.co.uk as 'Allow'
Hopefully now fixed :thumb:

So I cleared the browsing data cookies and all and its back..

32822226032_8f101d20ac_c.jpg

AARRGGHHHH!!!!!!

I have just logged out and saw that when i tried to log back in but for me its not a problem as i never log out internationally, if you close your browser is it logging you out?

I have just logged out and saw that when i tried to log back in but for me its not a problem as i never log out internationally, if you close your browser is it logging you out?
If you have set the browser to wipe cookies as you leave it will log you out. And when you re-open the browser the slate is clean as far as the site is concerned and you have the pop-up plus you have to log in again.
Before I fixed it I found I could get rid of the pop-up by simply clicking the screen outside the pop-up window.

Never have this issue.

Get your coat.
I may just, clicking off the popup will indeed clear it but its an extra click plus an extra click to reapply focus to the underlying login form,

having to log in with each visit is no biggy its a tap of the enter key once the page/tab gets focus, its a reflex action now, but having to negate and then click to give the login precedence is much less smooth an action, and is now beginning to get quite irksome..

i would have thought if browser based this would exhibit with other site orientated popups with the other sites i visit as part of the browser start up instead its very site specific, anyone sandboxed and brave enough to click on to discover the phishing ploy behind it??

I remembered seeing a message on log out and here it is, if you log out you are gong to see it every time.

vBulletin Message

All cookies cleared!
Return to the page you were previously viewing
Go to forums index

having to log in with each visit is no biggy its a tap of the enter key once the page/tab gets focus, its a reflex action now, but having to negate and then click to give the login precedence is much less smooth an action, and is now beginning to get quite irksome..

anyone sandboxed and brave enough to click on to discover the phishing ploy behind it??

I have logged out and now cannot see the message.

I clicked on it yesterday and it took me to the registration page its not Phishing just a nudge for guests viewing the site, your problem is being caused by your browser clearing cookies on exit.

32822226032_8f101d20ac_c.jpg

Have you changed the settings as Terry advised below?

Noting it might be a cookie thing in Firefox from above (thanks folks) which means I have to log in every time, AND get the pop -up, I have now resolved the problem it seems.
Firefox>Tools>Options>General>History
My browser previously set to delete all cookies on browser closing.
Under Exceptions I have now added thehomebrewforum.co.uk as 'Allow'
Hopefully now fixed

If you have set the browser to wipe cookies as you leave it will log you out. And when you re-open the browser the slate is clean as far as the site is concerned and you have the pop-up plus you have to log in again.
Before I fixed it I found I could get rid of the pop-up by simply clicking the screen outside the pop-up window.

For some reason i thought you were using firefox.

Under Settings section, click on Show Advanced Settings.

Find Privacy settings and click on the Content Settings button.

Under Cookies see if your settings match mine below.

--------------

yyyyyyyyoooooooooo.jpg

Latest posts

Back