Hello from Bedfordshire!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robsparky99

Newbie kit brewer
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm in the process of creating a man garage brewing cave thing at the moment and not far off creating my first brew. After much reading and opinions, I decided to try kit brewing first off. My tastes are Lager, Pilsner and Wheat beers generally. The odd porter (Sainsburys taste the difference one is brill) and IPA's are nice.

I've got all the equipment ready (most of it salvaged from an old kitchen at work - brew fridge/temperature controller hand made:grin:) and grabbed some kits from Tesco to start with.

So what are you thoughts:wha: on my first brew:
Cooopers European lager
Coopers BE2
Saflager s-23 (1 pack) - rehydrated in 110ml of warm previously boiled water for 10 minutes, then add to Wort.
Temperature at about 13-15 C - maybe wait 2-3 weeks?
Bottle using 2 carb drops per 500ml glass bottle box up the bottles and leave for 2 months minimum.

I have a lot of weight on shoulder because the guys at work all want samples!

IMG_0438[1].jpg

Welcome pal.
Wow you got a great start of your man cave! People would be jel!!! Lol
Tbh the coopers kits are well documented and if I was was to start again, be a pale ale moving on with a stout...lagers If you've got the temp control why not....
Be not long before your wanting to delving in to AG brewing! You've got the space...
After 30+ years of kits I jumped in in AG...no partial, BIAB etc.
Enjoy it above all else m8.
There's a lot of guru's in this forum so don't be frighten to ask! I'm still asking now....n I'll never learn it all, always something to learn in home brewing, that's why I enjoy this hobby.

Hi,

I'm in the process of creating a man garage brewing cave thing at the moment and not far off creating my first brew. After much reading and opinions, I decided to try kit brewing first off. My tastes are Lager, Pilsner and Wheat beers generally. The odd porter (Sainsburys taste the difference one is brill) and IPA's are nice.

I've got all the equipment ready (most of it salvaged from an old kitchen at work - brew fridge/temperature controller hand made:grin:) and grabbed some kits from Tesco to start with.

Cooopers European lager
Coopers BE2
Saflager s-23 (1 pack) - rehydrated in 110ml of warm previously boiled water for 10 minutes, then add to Wort.
Bottle using 2 carb drops per 500ml glass bottle box up the bottles and leave for 2 months minimum.

Hi and welcome to the forum:thumb:

Loving the set up so far and you have not even had a brew on#organised.I've only done one kit since I got back to brewing as I went to AG/BIAB and partial and as of yet have not tried a lager though it seems that your on the right track and have done a bit of research.Carbonation drops personally I'm not a fan as I prefer to either go with sugar to bottle or batch prime from the bottling bucket.The only thing I can say is get stuck in and give it a try as regardless what you do you'll certainly learn something from your experience which is always a positive.:thumb:

Wish my brewing area looked something like that rather than working round all the clutter that is in my garage which I currently do.

Welcome and good luck with your first brew.

That is one impressive setup! You have no excuses there :)

I started AG so no advice here, but if you want to impress the guys at work you might also like to think about clarity, if that is even an issue for extract brewing?

In my experience non brewers, especially lager drinkers, don't like cloudy beer.

Welcome, I love the setup. I would love a permanent setup, unfortunately mine is all takedown and put away once finished.

One tip that may save you some off flavours. Treat your water with 1/2 a campden tablet per 23 litres, if it is chlorinated. Not everyone has chloramine and chlorine in high enough levels to worry about, but if you do, half a campden tablet will sort it out.

Carbonation drops should be great for a lager! The only downside is that they are not very flexible, in terms of dosing, and may produce inappropriate carbonation levels for other styles.

Hi,

Cooopers European lager
Coopers BE2

Welcome to the forum Rob. That's already a great setup you've got going on there...and I'm jealous already..! :grin:

Welcome.
Good set up.
The kit review is here http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17845
My only real comment is that you have selected a kit that takes many weeks to achieve its best. You may be happy with that.
If you want a light kit beer that comes good after about 7/8 weeks I recommend the Youngs AIPA kit. It will take about 3/4 weeks in the FV, one or two weeks to carbonate, and can be drunk young after about two weeks conditioniing provided its clear.

Latest posts

Back