Fake craft beer company sued

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strange-steve

Quantum Brewer
Reaction score
I saw this on Cracked this morning, but I don't really know how this is different from the other big breweries cashing in on the craft beer craze.

I don't know about in the US, but I thought there wasn't any official definition as to what "craft" means, so this won't likely go anywhere. Aside from perhaps encouraging someone to create a legal definition?

I believe, happy to be corrected, that craft is a trademark of the Brewers Association in America - like Trappist is a trademark of the International Trappist Association. To be a craft brewer, you have to meet a criteria set by the Association.

Craft is a defined term in the US. It's breweries that produce under a certain amount of beer per year (although this has been changed more than once to keep breweries such as Sierra Nevada under the craft umbrella as they expand) and aren't wholly owned by another company.

Not applicable or comparable to our market here in the UK.

Craft is a defined term in the US. It's breweries that produce under a certain amount of beer per year (although this has been changed more than once to keep breweries such as Sierra Nevada under the craft umbrella as they expand) and aren't wholly owned by another company.

Not applicable or comparable to our market here in the UK.

Thats what I thought too. In the UK there is no legal definition but trading standards could still take action if they think the term is misleading.

Didn't Brewdog try to create some sort of definition of 'craft' a few years ago? It was a bit embarrassing as the brew punks turned school prefects and tried to get all the other kids to gang up on those they disapproved of. I remember it as being the day that 'craft', for me, became a term that identified those who frequently practice onanism.

I don't care who brews beer if it tastes good. They could be a multi-national company with production plants across the globe, populated by blind third world orphans working for two pence a month for all I care. If it tastes great I'll patronise them any day over some bearded hipster making pine-tree infused saison with cacao nibs in some backstreet bridge arch in Hackney.

I recently was in a 'crafty' pub and asked the barman about the hops in the various beers brewed on site. He shrugged and asked me what I meant. After a bit of a to-and-fro conversation he informed me that the beers didn't have hops. I think he thought I was trying to catch him out. I pointed to a bar pump badge and asked why it was covered with pictures of hops. He took a look and said, quite seriously and rather sharply: 'they're acorns'. We left without having a beer...

I don't care who brews beer if it tastes good. They could be a multi-national company with production plants across the globe, populated by blind third world orphans working for two pence a month for all I care..

I agree it doesn't matter to me who makes the beer or what type it is as long as it tastes good who cares.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

In my recent posts I have been using...

"so called" "craft beer" "<sic>"

... (combination of one or more of these) for just the reasons discussed in this thread. "Brewdog" seem to like attacking "CAMRA" and their meaningless <sic!> "real ale" term while hiding behind this "craft beer" term which obviously isn't meaningless (eh???).

Worth noting that is nothing to do with the (excellent) Trouble Brewing from Co. Kildare in Ireland...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

In my recent posts I have been using...

"so called" "craft beer" "<sic>"

... (combination of one or more of these) for just the reasons discussed in this thread. "Brewdog" seem to like attacking "CAMRA" and their meaningless <sic!> "real ale" term while hiding behind this "craft beer" term which obviously isn't meaningless (eh???).

if you keep that up you may be sued by "so called" ISIS for infringing their trademark phrase.

Oxford Dictionary online...
Craft Beer - a beer made in a traditional or non-mechanized way by a small brewery
Websters (American) Dictionary online...
Craft Beer - a specialty beer produced in limited quantities

So which is right?:hmm:

Just noticed old speckled hen says "Crafted" on the label

Why don't they say 'made' or 'brewed' instead of getting all arsey about it? Probably made by a bunch of disgruntled nine-to-fivers to a set recipe and routine which has all the 'craft' of making a cup of tea.

Latest posts

Back