Fake craft beer company sued

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like a top chef will tell you . trim the bone on a lamb chop, stick a bit of green around it slash of truffle oil and add a tenner on the dish price, theres all ways ten bob millionaire snobs out there who think that its the in thing to be seen eating or drinking this stuff. They feel better that they have paid a lot of money to experiance being ripped off. Has a top french chef once said, when asked whats your style of cooking , he replied i make pretty food for not very hungry people with money to burn, this can be applied to the craft beer snobs. Some would drink rat p**s if they thought it was the fashion , most of them would be bladdered after two bottles, but experts on CRAFT beer :lol:

Crafted is just another word for made.
Just as `artisan' ale would be beer made by a skilled person/persons.
You could use both terms for even hugely massed produced beers as, believe it or not, the only real difference is the size of the vessels used. There is no such thing as `hand-made' beer.
Of course, one difference is that the big boys seem capable of churning out consistent product and I've never had a bottle of vinegar from say Guinness, which is more than I can say for several of the microbreweries around here.

Oxford Dictionary online...
Craft Beer - a beer made in a traditional or non-mechanized way by a small brewery
Websters (American) Dictionary online...
Craft Beer - a specialty beer produced in limited quantities

So which is right?:hmm:

in the US of A even their Microbreweries ara BIG, push button affairs so the craft beer term may apply to small artisan breweries which are not mechanised.

Why don't they say 'made' or 'brewed' instead of getting all arsey about it? Probably made by a bunch of disgruntled nine-to-fivers to a set recipe and routine which has all the 'craft' of making a cup of tea.

Fits with their advertising campaign hence Crafty hen, they are trying to project the product as inherently craft based i.e speckled hen, crafty hen country based.*

in reality the name originates from an old MG car "the speckled un" which became the speckled hen.

It's called craft because a load of tight trouser plaid shirt wearing bearded pony tailed no sock brouge wearing new old style gentlemen will gladly pay far too much for it..

Cheers

Clint

My mother, back in the 60s, would shop at M&S even though it was more snobbish and expensive then as she believed that if you paid more you automatically get quality. Another company used this as their advertising slogan"reassuringly expensive"for their wife beater lager! So from now on I DO NOT give any beer away, it's all £10 a bottle so it must be really good!

I think some people just like to drool over the fact that they paid too much for something just because they can, some bars in Newcastle are twice the price of others and attract the crowd you are on about in a cramped ,noisy atmosphere where the beer in not discussed or anything else for that matter. Not my cup of tea ( that would be £5.00 alone!)

So boiling all this down, my recipe for 'craft beer' is:

Dont skip on the 'Its' in fashion' base malts
A good slug of 'snobbishness' specialty malts
Heavy on the 'marketing twaddle' bittering, flavour and aroma hops

Total ******** - Imperial IPA Mild Porter. Coming to your local bespoke craft, artisan brew pub coffee shop soon!

....served on tables that used to be sewing machines!

Yep - been there, had me beer off a Singer, oh well!
But to be fair me and SWMBO go from time to time to a local 'Hipster' bar in Stockport where the food is good, the music is quiet (thank God) and some of their beer is brewed in the on site micro brewery.
So it's not all that bad
And we've just found another one in Altrincham (a bit posher though) they had just had a delivery of Golden Promise malt - must have been 25 + sacks of it, I was envious :mrgreen:
Cheers

Yep - been there, had me beer off a Singer, oh well!
But to be fair me and SWMBO go from time to time to a local 'Hipster' bar in Stockport where the food is good, the music is quiet (thank God) and some of their beer is brewed in the on site micro brewery.
So it's not all that bad
And we've just found another one in Altrincham (a bit posher though) they had just had a delivery of Golden Promise malt - must have been 25 + sacks of it, I was envious :mrgreen:
Cheers

Now THAT is a craft ale bar!

So boiling all this down, my recipe for 'craft beer' is:

Dont skip on the 'Its' in fashion' base malts
A good slug of 'snobbishness' specialty malts
Heavy on the 'marketing twaddle' bittering, flavour and aroma hops

Total ******** - Imperial IPA Mild Porter. Coming to your local bespoke craft, artisan brew pub coffee shop soon!

Maris Otter, some crystal and maybe a little roast barley, Challenger,Fuggles and East Kent Goldings. One really couldn't want for anything more.

Well, then what is a Craft Beer?

A Xmas present - Randy Mosher's Radical Brewing. Some stuff in there about English Ales and a "hard to agriculture, old style malt called Maris Otter".

Actually it can't be that old as it's named after the place it was trialed- backing onto Maris Lane in Cambridge, where the experiments were done - Maris Piper is a potato with a similar name for a similar reason.

Anyway, Mosher goes on about this Maris Otter, like it's the holy grail of the style. Blah, blah, Goldings this, fuggles that, bitter it with Northdowns, impress the core readership in the newly declared Trump Empire...

Except that MO is what many on this Forum buy as their base malt. The stuff woffled on about is all "old hat". About as new, radical or Craft as me chucking MO in the GF today and adding in the English hops out the freezer into a recipe I got out of a book first written quite a long time ago (by Graham Wheeler).

It's not new at all, it's at best experimental and at worst simply extravagant.

I bought a Punk IPA in a pub for what I thought should come with a curry as well, at least. Nice beer, nothing I couldn't do myself, had I the wish. Not one I would buy ever again. Too many hops. Just overpowering.

Anyway. Rant over.

All i know Craft is a word thats likely to turn me on my heels when associated with beer. And while some of the US inspired Hop bombs are worth a sup and will probably establish themselves. Its primary purpose as a label is to SELL. Lets hope we manage to escape a "Craft Beer association" over here as it sounds like a huge con akin to the food and soil association who sell the organic label for foodstuffs. Only serving to hike the price of consumer goods.

I think if they call it craft it should at least be stirred while mashing and boiling. ...BY HAND...literally....arm in it up to the elbow!

surely the #1 criteria is a brew filtered thru bum fluff grown into oddly long n square beards, scalped at the chin off a milenial brain numbed by angry birds, to be an authentic US style cra(p)ft brew.

Latest posts

Back