Swing top bottle offer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like it. The swing top bottles have the 2 wee holes at the top to attach the 2 wire ends. This then acts as the pivot for the cap to fit. The bottle in the picture is just a plan bottle. I have no idea what they are playing at. The swing tops won't fit a normal bottle. It just looks like they gave you a box of bottles and threw in some spare swingtop caps. Poor form.

Looks like it. The swing top bottles have the 2 wee holes at the top to attach the 2 wire ends. This then acts as the pivot for the cap to fit. The bottle in the picture is just a plan bottle. I have no idea what they are playing at. The swing tops won't fit a normal bottle. It just looks like they gave you a box of bottles and threw in some spare swingtop caps. Poor form.

I know, I'm actually quite p******ed. I should have checked it straight away when they came.

edit: they just called me, after I just emailed them, so that is good service I guess. They're sending me the bottles (well at least that's all I understood from his broad Irish accent lol!)

Luckily I just got work in, too, so it won't see like a wasted afternoon.

Does that mean though, that the beer will need those extra days conditioning in the bottle?

Score!
They don't come any cheaper than this.

100_0097.JPG

That is a nice collection of Grolsch bottles you have there!

Thanks! Sure helps to simply ask in pubs for them, that lot in the pic was simply the last lot I picked up.
I'm up to 170ish at the moment, I haven't the heart to stop picking them up even though the shed is full!

Thanks! Sure helps to simply ask in pubs for them, that lot in the pic was simply the last lot I picked up.
I'm up to 170ish at the moment, I haven't the heart to stop picking them up even though the shed is full!

This is actually my plan, I've managed to get a list of all the pubs locally that sell the swing top bottles, just haven't managed to get the time to go in and ask them for the bottles yet!

Do you find they are generally OK with saving them for you?

I live in a small town Joe. There's about a dozen pubs/clubs, only three of which sell Grolsch. I go in all three now and again, so that may help with them saving them for me.
I also bought the barmaid that kept the last 50 odd for me, a couple bottles of wine as a thank you. She's gonna phone me when she has another 50 or so saved up.
If I was you, I'd ask, what's the worse that can happen?
My son has just taken up the hobby too, he spoke to the manager in our Wetherspoons about bottles. The manager was delighted to let my lad take as many as he could carry, it saved the cleaners a chore I guess. No Grolsch unfortunately, but my lad got 90 or so bottles in one day.
I must be a tight git, as I think paying for empty beer bottles is lunacy!

This is actually my plan, I've managed to get a list of all the pubs locally that sell the swing top bottles, just haven't managed to get the time to go in and ask them for the bottles yet!

Do you find they are generally OK with saving them for you?

I second what bevvied says pubs and other places are delighted that you'll take them off there hands. I got all mine from my LHBS who also have a bottle shop. They have to bag them up and take them to recycling so were more than happy with me rooting for through the bags and carting a couple of hundred away

I second what bevvied says pubs and other places are delighted that you'll take them off there hands. I got all mine from my LHBS who also have a bottle shop. They have to bag them up and take them to recycling so were more than happy with me rooting for through the bags and carting a couple of hundred away

i can't believe that that's how it goes! Don't they return them to the brewery? Sorry if I'm being daft, but that's how things work in Germany.

Latest posts

Back