Crazy Ferment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phildo79

Reaction score
This ever happened to any of you guys?
13.5 Litres
OG - 1.080
20g Safale 04 Yeast
Insanely active.
Fermented out in two days!

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

IMG-20170920-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20170920-WA0003.jpg

Next time try a blow off tube, much less mess. :thumb:
The fact that you used 20g yeast for 13.5 litres of wort might explain why the ferment was so active. Was there a reason for this? And what was the ferment temperature?

I made a similar imp stout about 6 weeks ago and used 2 packets of yeast for 2 reasons. Firstly the high gravity of 1.080 and secondly because I have had issues in the past with only using one packet and not achieving the desired FG, even after a week of fermenting.

That was the first time I tried using two packets and it fermented in 2 days.
I did the same a couple of weeks after that and the batch fermented in 2 days again.

So getting the job done in 2 days is very appealing to me but I never expected that amount of pressure build up in the FV.
I've only seen that once before, years ago and not as severe, when I used beer enhancer instead of dextrose in a Cooper's 40 pint stout kit.

13.5l at 1.080 is the same amount of sugars as 23l at 1.047, so I don't think you needed the two packets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13.5l at 1.080 is the same amount of sugars as 23l at 1.047, so I don't think you needed the two packets.

Pitching rate doesn't scale like that. The more concentrated lower volume wort has higher osmotic pressure and finishes at higher abv, both of which put the yeast under greater stress than the more dilute beer.

Well guys it totally fermented out in two days and the FG was 1.025 so a nice 7.2% ABV. Just what I was hoping for, something between 7 and 8 percent.

Looking forward to sampling this bad boy in two long weeks.

I noticed something which I thought was a little strange. I cleaned out the airlock and when I replaced it, it was bubbling away like mad. I removed the top lid that has all the little holes and it dramatically reduced the speed of the fermenting. Or did it? Is that just an optical illusion? I can't think what influence that would have over what is going on in the FV.

currently day 18 of my coopers stout with 1 kg of youngs brew enhancer went off like a train as you can tell by the krausen right up to the cap,slowed down plopping mid way then started plopping at a steady rate of one every 6/7 minutes presently.added cracked coffee beans to it on the 5th day in a hop tube in the FV still in there,had a little taste a few days back and certainly took on the coffee flavour:thumb:

IMG_20170922_170420_HDR[1].jpg

Pitching rate doesn't scale like that. The more concentrated lower volume wort has higher osmotic pressure and finishes at higher abv, both of which put the yeast under greater stress than the more dilute beer.

This is getting a bit theoretical but wouldn't the answer to that be a different yeast rather than more yeast? (10 marines instead of 75 untrained recruits)? Interestingly the Mr Malty calculator specifies a lot lower cell count required for 13.5l at 1.080 than for my hypothetical example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back