Grainfather

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnyp

Reaction score
well I,ve only gone and done it..with( swmbo,s) permition I have treated myself to a Grainfather !! after reading possibly every review on grainfathers/burco/and probably every other all in one system I have plumped for the "father" after getting the all grain bug and having great success with my two pot,s on the top of the stove,(but what a phaff)at my time of life 64 going on 34 !! I needed something that was going to make thing,s a bit easier..so I have just done my first brew I have just upped the quantities ..the thing I was REALLY impressed with was the counter flow wort chiller.....unbelievable....hopefully it will take my brewing to another level......I will keep you posted on how my brew goes......:thumb:

I’ve had mine for two years and the thing I love about mine, other than the end product, is the compactness of it all.

I have limited space so it’s a massive consideration. I did one brew with a Heath Robinson home built jobby but as you said it was a real faff.

But for the GF I would have packed in long ago.

Enjoy your new kit, now you need more shiny stuff like me.View attachment IMG_0054.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

me thinks a brew shed is needed !!!!!:lol:

Me too, mine is just over a metre wide and two and a half long.

The Missus want me to extend it or even demolish and start again, what’s the catch?

what’s the catch?

probably find as soon as its down there will be 'perfectly reasonable' suggestion for an alternative use for the space /area.. backed up with at least 1 arm folded nodding pal..

Anybody having problems with the pump? I’m doing a cleaning cycle and everything was fine with the recirc arm on. Connected up the chiller and the pump is not working, just making a really odd noise like it’s trying to work.

Pump has failed mid mash today. I will be asking for a replacement and a kit to replace the grain I’ve lost due to this.

Pump has failed mid mash today. I will be asking for a replacement and a kit to replace the grain I’ve lost due to this.

You didn't chuck the mash away did you? It would almost certainly have been fine...

No, I blew down the tube a few times and nothing was blocking it. Just very temperamental, definitely need it replacing.
If you do have the problem again as long as you notice relatively early on just keep the mash stirred to keep the temperature constant throughout and you should be fine.

Glad to hear the failure report was a false alarm .. Phew.. tho im pretty sure there would be no problem with a swift replacement if needed..

Now How did the pump get clogged up????? excuse the finger pointing, but who else is there ;)

May i suggest flushing the pump thru should be the last clean up job before upturning to drain dry.. Yes Upturn, you want the pump and its plumbing drained dry with No residual moisture before storage between brews,

A nylon sieve can be used to capture any particulate matter from the return flow that could get sucked back into the pump and give future grief..

If the pump is stopping I found that it is often a blockage in the valve at the top of the recirc pipe. Remove the valve and there is a spring and ball behind it, this always gets clogged up with hops and stops anything passing.
I had a similar panic on my 3rd brew thinking the pump had broken. I now remove the valve after every brew and give it a clean out, recirculating the cleaning fluid isnt going to remove this

If the pump is stopping I found that it is often a blockage in the valve at the top of the recirc pipe. Remove the valve and there is a spring and ball behind it, this always gets clogged up with hops and stops anything passing.
I had a similar panic on my 3rd brew thinking the pump had broken. I now remove the valve after every brew and give it a clean out, recirculating the cleaning fluid isnt going to remove this
I've removed mine and didn't put it back. Just must remember to shut off the valve when not using the pump, just in case :D

Back