Suitable yeast for lager kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt78

Reaction score
I have been given a kilner 23 pint lager kit that is out of date, the kit is use before June 2017. Having read a couple of threads on here I've decided to brew it but get a fresh yeast sachet.
My problem is that I'm confused at the massive range of yeast available. What yeast do people recommend for lager kits?? Cheers folks

Personal like saflager 2' but you need to be able to control the temperature.

Thanks for the recommendation on the saflager. I've just had a look into that yeast and I don't really have anywhere cool enough. Im still new to homebrew. Thanks again for the recommendation.👍

Thanks for the recommendations MyQul. I'm going to go with the W-34/70 and see how I go with that. It's all a learning curve for me but looking forward to seeing the results. Thanks again.

Use W-34/70, there's a large thread on HBT where people are getting good results fermenting at ale temps.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=592169&page=14

Either that or use a steam beer/california common yeast (a lager yeast that is fermented at ale temps), crossmyloof (cheapest) and mangrove jacks both do a dried one

Thanks for the link. I've really enjoyed reading through it and hearing other people's thoughts and reviews on the higher temperature yeasts. I've ordered my W30/70 and can't wait to get my lager kit underway.

Every day is a school day!

Thanks for the link. I've really enjoyed reading through it and hearing other people's thoughts and reviews on the higher temperature yeasts. I've ordered my W30/70 and can't wait to get my lager kit underway.

Every day is a school day!

I like a light lager(and am looking to add one in to my house beer rotation) but have no place for a brew fridge. So I've done extensive research on pseudo lagers. W-34/70, and the thread I linked from HBT being one answer to my lack of brew fridge

Latest posts

Back