Particles in my homebrew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drswoz

Reaction score
Hi there I'm new to home brewing and for my first brew I made a coopers Irish stout did exactly what it said on the tin and my fermentation has stopped at 1008 but I have a lot of particles in my brew it smells good tastes good but need to bottle how can I try to at least get some of the bits out many thanks newbie brewer

If it's smells good and tastes good, then your doing great. I wouldn't worry too much about particles it's probably just yeast. How long has it been in your fv? One trick a lot of brewers use is to move the fv somewhere cold for a week, this helps to compact the yeast and other bits and pieces making for a clearer brew. Because it's bottle conditioned, you will always have sediment in the bottom of your bottles when you homebrew. This is normal and just requires a careful pour into a glass.

Thank so much been a bit of a worry but I left it in the fv like it said in the instructions plus an 3 days so been 2 weeks was looking to bottle anytime but if placing it in a cooler room will help I'll try that and I'll see how that goes once again thanks

Hi!
Homebrew kit instructions always underestimate the time needed to make good beer. Two weeks in the FV is normal practice. As @Jakeyboi wrote, leave in the coldest place you can find for a few days before you bottle it.

Bits in your beer are not a problem. After bottling keep them warm for a week or 2 to pressure up, then somewhere cool to condition for another couple of weeks. All the bits will settle to the bottom of the bottles and be glued into the yeast sediment. The longer you leave the bottles, the more firmly will everything be stuck to the bottom.

Hi Drswoz,
With these Chilly nights, so long as it doesn't freeze, leave your FV outside and cover it (so it doesn't get damaged/ lid blows off etc). Leave it there for 2-3 days and then bring the beer in to bottle while the beer is still chilly. This will cold crash the beer and particles will drop to the bottom.

When you bottle, your supposed to leave 2 weeks in the warm (this carbonates the beer up) and then chill in the fridge for 2 weeks. This will do the exact same thing as cold crashing but none of the bits will end in your glass.

As others have said, particles are not dangerous, welcome to the World of brewing. If your anything like me, you'll be doing all grain in a few months :)

Welcome to brewing and thbf..

Time and gravity will clear the cloudiest beer ;) With a kit brew the 'particles' are the yeast which have done their work for you billions of the little feckers. as their food supply (sugars) is exhasted they go dormant and drop out, but being so tiny it can take a bit of time..

The thing about kit instructions is that they are generally visible on the kits packaging and are therefore an aspect of its marketing. Consequently the kit that looks the best on the shelf to a newbie brewer is the one that puts a beer in his/her hand asap ;)

WE ALL FELL FOR IT!!!!!!!

However the lucky ones amongst us either found a site like this, or in my case was too lazy to pour the beer down the drain after my first sup 20 something days after starting, and then when coming accross the bottles some months later and feeling brave gave it a 2nd sup and was bowled over by the difference..

PATIENCE is the hardest skill to acquire with brewing, But well worth it as when you give the beer the time it needs to mature its flavour properly you will be rewarded with a sup you can be proud of ;)

You can leave beer undisturbed in its FV(fermenting vessel) for weeks n weeks without worry, Months even, after 6-9 months its possible that some dormant yeast can awake and go cannibal which can theoretically impart an off flavour, and any dry hop additions can go a little grassy if left to steep for too long. But 2-3 weeks in the FV or even a week or two longer is nothing to worry about..

Cheers everyone feeling a little better now all the advice is greatly received and I'm learning with ever step many thanks again everyone

Quick question will the sugar used to carbonate alter the abv of the beer now I've bottled it ???

Thanks for that I've bottled my coopers Irish stout 500 dame and 500 brewing sugar plus 150 soft soft dark brown sugar og 146 fg 106/108 can't tell which lol so went with 107 just playing the waiting game now so thanks to everyone for there help and looking forward to my next adventure lol merry xmas everyone

Latest posts

Back