Weather update

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably for the best mind you, today's kids never shower in school so 30-odd 15 year olds in a room after half an hour of football in the mud wouldn't be a pleasant experience. In case anyone is wondering, the reason they don't shower [I kid you not] is that they don't want to spoil hair and/or makeup, including the boys. So much product in there they don't want to waste it. And there ain't no way a 12 year old girl goes out in public without makeup on, not in this century.
If you have ever played rugby on a school playing field half covered in stinking stagnant water like I did a shower is a no brainer. :sick:

"The predominant feature for January is cold, snow with storms = blizzards to start the month; then frost which will freeze the snow, followed by more snow (on top of frozen snow and ice); with another freezing session of ice to solidify the ground. Finally more frost to end the month. Maybe now you are able to see why nature provided bounteous fruits and seeds earlier in the previous year. "

Lets see how good this prediction is by someone who claims 90% accuracy. THB his December predictions for a warm, stormy month seem to belong to the 10% he gets wrong!:lol:
The prediction is from www.weatherwithouttechnology.co.uk

"The predominant feature for January is cold, snow with storms = blizzards to start the month; then frost which will freeze the snow, followed by more snow (on top of frozen snow and ice); with another freezing session of ice to solidify the ground. Finally more frost to end the month. Maybe now you are able to see why nature provided bounteous fruits and seeds earlier in the previous year. "

I hope he's right, but I don't buy the theory that nature provides for the coming season. I'd say that a bumper harvest is the result of that season's growing conditions rather than a prognosticator of what's to come.

Gunge, you should have been in our back garden this week (having gone through the beer storage area and grabbed a brew, of course). There has often been a flock of around 8 blackbirds. Birds are often competing for food but imminent bad winter weather has them forgetting their rivalries and chilling together. They know things we don't. :thumb:

Birds are often competing for food but imminent bad winter weather has them forgetting their rivalries and chilling together. They know things we don't. :thumb:

Maybe their senses are finely honed to what the future holds - their survival depends on it. They can't be any worse than human forecasters, that's for sure. Meanwhile, there's so many rabbits around our works that it looks like a scene from Watership Down. What could it mean?? Might be a harbinger of some terrible climate disaster, but most likely it's just cos they're 'making hay' while the foxes have gone away.

Silly me! :doh:

I went to the window to look outside and see if the snow had reached Skegness ... :thumb:

... forgetting that, in this age of austerity, we have no streetlights so I can't see anything! :lol: :lol:

I've had the feelers out and my connections reliably inform me that Ice Age II will descend within two days either side of Xmas Day and will persist to make the infamous winter of 1962/1963 look like springtime in Paris.

I've had the feelers out and my connections reliably inform me that Ice Age II will descend within two days either side of Xmas Day and will persist to make the infamous winter of 1962/1963 look like springtime in Paris.

Hi!
Does this mean tha's'll have to get thi coit out o't' cupboard?

I'll have to ask my grandparents what that winter was like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winter 1962/1963

In late-January 1963 the Chief Constable of Lincolnshire appeared in Louth for his Quarterly Meeting with the troops. I quote his opening words:

"I know it's cold and I know that a lot of people have stayed at home, but not one person has been booked for anything in this Division for more than two weeks. Why?"

No-one in the room dared tell him that the second you pulled out your biro and notebook the ink froze and the biro wouldn't work.

So, having decided to book someone and finding that you had no means of recording anything about the offence you looked very serious and said "I've decided not to report you this time, so let this be a warning to you." and left the bemused offender wondering why he/she had got off so lightly. :lol: :lol:

Another memory was the man up in the wolds who asked if he could have a lift back to Louth in the Police Land Rover. "Why are you here?" asked my mate. "I came to look at the snowdrifts." the man replied. "Well, you'll have plenty of time for that." replied my mate as he drove off and left the man standing at the side of his car; which had skidded into a ditch.

Happy Days! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Winter 1962/1963

In late-January 1963 the Chief Constable of Lincolnshire appeared in Louth for his Quarterly Meeting with the troops. I quote his opening words:

"I know it's cold and I know that a lot of people have stayed at home, but not one person has been booked for anything in this Division for more than two weeks. Why?"

No-one in the room dared tell him that the second you pulled out your biro and notebook the ink froze and the biro wouldn't work.

So, having decided to book someone and finding that you had no means of recording anything about the offence you looked very serious and said "I've decided not to report you this time, so let this be a warning to you." and left the bemused offender wondering why he/she had got off so lightly. :lol: :lol:

Another memory was the man up in the wolds who asked if he could have a lift back to Louth in the Police Land Rover. "Why are you here?" asked my mate. "I came to look at the snowdrifts." the man replied. "Well, you'll have plenty of time for that." replied my mate as he drove off and left the man standing at the side of his car; which had skidded into a ditch.

Happy Days! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hey Dutto. I can't believe you used to be a copper as well as an HSE officer, you'll tell us next you've also been a traffic warden!:nono:

His Zimmer frame's not as fast as it was:whistle:

Cheeky young buggers! :thumb: :thumb:

This is the Zimmer stick (don't use a frame just yet) I inherited via my Dad, Mum and then older Brother. (I told you, we throw nothing away in my family! :lol:)

It celebrated its 40th Birthday this March so it's probably older than most of you lot. :lol: :lol:

Zimmer.jpg

Back