AG #6 Centennial/Cascade

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virgilartois

Reaction score
Decided to play with Centennial today to see what I can do with it. Hoping to make a brewery recipe entry for the competetion so a bit of experience with it couldn't hurt. Follwed a modified SNPA clone recipe scrounged off the interwebs.

The recipe:
4.55kg Pale
300g Caramalt
300g Wheat malt

70 minute boil-
25g Centennial (70)
20g Cascade (15)
Protafloc (15)

65 degree mash for 60 minutes

Collected 20L into boiler
Collected 14L post boil (lost 6 litres to hop boil!)

Liquored back to 1.054 and pitched Safale US-05. Wound up with 23L.
Never used US-05 before, but I expect the FG to be around 1.013 considering the lower mash temp. Aiming for no higher than 5.2% ABV.

This is my first time trying wheat malt and I'm not even sure what Caramalt is but I got it because I wanted a lighter colour beer, but didn't want to invest in 7 different crystal malts.

All in all, the day went REALLY well and I learned a lot. Hope to do my all Centennial brew this weekend.

Looks a very similar recipe to the Cascade Pale Ale I'm drinking now except I used Northern Brewer instead of Centennial. I'm loving mine at the moment, it only had a 70 minute boil due to outside influences but it has a wonderful bitterness to it.
I normally stick to traditional British hops but I'll definitely be using cascade again.

I do like Cascade as well; and Virgil, I think you'll find the US-05 will go lower than you think, it's a pretty hungry yeast, good luck with the brew :cheers:

Thanks for the reassurance. The yeast is taking its time starting but I have a feeling I'll have to pull out the blow off lid in a few hours. Sorry for no pics, they all look the same after a while.

Only a few days into fermentation and the smell coming off this brew is astounding. I'm sold on centennial and cascade. The US-05 yeast is a monster as well. Big, loose bubbles on the surface instead of the small, compact clump the S-04 has. God, I love making beer.

Back