15L Stock Pots on ebay.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think I'll order that Wheeler book Aleman was on about and have it delivered Muy Rapido! The two I have are getting stale.

:D

I didn't mean that last post to come out that way... i just re read it... completely not how i meant it to come across :oops:

I meant to say that cos you've got me all worked up over this shiny business and got me eager to see the mini shiny... that to rest my urges i'll need to go stare at the shiny in the garage to relieve the tension :oops:

don't get me started on GW :roll:

ok you got me started, and i've had a few beers to loosen my tongue/fingers now :lol:

[BrewStew edit @ the admin edit - might aswell take out the whole line, i'm not leaving praise about Graham Wheeler without the opinion i'm entitled to :roll: ]

Dave Line's Brewing Beers Like Those You Buy .... if you're new to AG and want some clone recipes of commercial brews to start you off it's a good read, lots of recipes, and i got mine for a fiver. it's not got alot of emphasis on the actual brewing process... i think it's more a recipe book personally but it does have an ultra basic guide to brewing that you could follow and still pull off something pretty good.

I also have John Palmer's - How To Brew , and he's kind enough and not money-grabbing enough to have published most of the book for free on the web... google it and it will be near the top :) ... some things are not 100% accurate (for example it's been pointed out that Palmer calls the foam at the start of the boil a "hot break" when infact it isn't) but i've read it cover to cover 4 times now. He does rabbit on about a section alot, so if you think you've got it already, skip to the next chapter before you're brains fill up with the sciency stuff :lol:

Really looking forward to hearing from Ian as well so I can go get the rest of my kit. Itching to get started. :whistle:

BrewStew said:
[BrewStew edit @ the admin edit - might aswell take out the whole line, i'm not leaving praise about Graham Wheeler without the opinion i'm entitled to :roll: ]

Damn, I missed something :D . .. Well for what its worth I think that GW is an opinionated old g*t who is stuck in the 1990's as far as brewing is concerned, and if you want to do it any way other than his then you are wrong. Plus he has admitted to only brewing 2 beers in the last year :roll: . .. . Having said that I don't think you can underestimate his contribution to the home brewing / craft brewing scene over the last 10 year . . . The good thing about GW is that he keeps it practical . . . Many other authors go off into realms of science fantasy that is completely unnecessary (IMO) . . . I enjoy the science bit, but you don't need to know it to brew good beer

BrewStew said:
Dave Line's Brewing Beers Like Those You Buy .... if you're new to AG and want some clone recipes of commercial brews to start you off it's a good read
Its a great book but from the 1970's . . . early 1970's . . . Roy Ekins was supposed to have updated it, but the update was worse than nothing . . . . . GW's book is mainly a recipe book, but it is up to date . . . . Get the Dave Line one to complete your brewing library . . . and get some good recipes . . . I have one I might be persuaded to part with for only 130 quid ;)

BrewStew said:
I also have John Palmer's - How To Brew , and he's kind enough and not money-grabbing enough to have published most of the book for free on the web...
Its US biased just like Papazian, and there is a large proportion of science in it . . . that is confusing and wrong . . . The number of times you see questions on the forums about dodgy practices and ideas . . . and you question it and they say I read it in Palmer :roll: . . . It's not practical enough to recommend to a newbie IMO.

One I like . . . but would not recommend to a newbie . . . is A Guide to Craftbrewing by John Alexander, its up to date, but contains too much sciency stuff . . . although it is correct . . . more or less . . . Even mentions Cornii . . . as well as Beers From the Wood

Aleman said:
Damn, I missed something :D . .. Well for what its worth I think that GW is an opinionated old g*t who is stuck in the 1990's as far as brewing is concerned, and if you want to do it any way other than his then you are wrong. Plus he has admitted to only brewing 2 beers in the last year :roll: . .. . Having said that I don't think you can underestimate his contribution to the home brewing / craft brewing scene over the last 10 year . . . The good thing about GW is that he keeps it practical . . . Many other authors go off into realms of science fantasy that is completely unnecessary (IMO) . . . I enjoy the science bit, but you don't need to know it to brew good beer

You did miss something :lol: , and I said something similar to you, but because I'd had about 5 bottles of 6.2% Winter Sunrise it came out pretty harsh :oops:

you praise him alot but he really doesn't take it well when proved wrong (and he HAS been wrong). the "it's my way or the highway" is not the way to go.... So Palmer's got it wrong in a couple of minute sections... so Dave Lines book is old and the update may not have been perfect.... SO? :wha: we're only human!!! GW has been wrong too but he threw a wobbly when it was laid infront of him for thousands to read.

you're comment "and if you want to do it any way other than his then you are wrong" emphasises my point everso much more.

are you getting commission for every plug? :lol:

not having a dig... he is a fantastic writer and i've read his book a couple of times. I just completely disagree that he has absolutely everything bang on and that if you dont do it his way, you're doing it wrong.

by that statement we must've been doing it wrong for thousands of years :wha: :cool:

I agree with you completely . . and no I'm not on commission :D . . . I give praise where it is due, and for the practical brewer, who just wants a set of simple instructions GW is probably the best author out there . . . . I am one of those that has had extended disagreements with Graham on a range of subjects (mostly offline thank goodness . . . or I'll come over as an opinionated tw*t . . . . OI! Careful :D) and there is no way he will change his mind . . . As for other authors . . Well the vast majority are US based (Palmer, Fix, Noonan, Korzonas, Miller, Jamil) and many of those concentrate too much on science (and minutiae at that) rather than simple brewing practice . . . and its is too often the simple techniques that work so well in our small setups . . .

Well either way I've bought the book. ha ha. I follow the same trend that's plagued me my whole life. Listen to the advice, read it, take away what I like and leave the rest, not really listen to anyone and do what I damn well please. :lol: I do like the mad scientist bits though.. think I'll get a white lab coat and some goggles to brew in.. can't manage the big white hair thing though.. think those days are far behind me :lol: Thanks guys. I appreciate the help and suggestions. :thumb:

I think it's worth getting the book for the recipes alone. The rest of the book (or "extended foreword" as I like to see it!) should be preaching to the converted for experienced homebrewers.

Right. Got the book. Doesn't seem that bad. Have to admit I enjoy it a bit more than TCJOHB. I think it gives a bit better of an explanation of stuff. Just my opinion. I am the the sort that enjoys the inner workings, whys and wherefores. Now I just want to get a brew under my belt. It's really bad when you're boiling potatoes for mash and are thinking how much better it would be if it was that stock pot you just bought full of wort. ha ha. Sorry for the lack of pictures stew. Just been too damned busy with life and all that. I did catch a deal this weekend. I had an urge to go to the local reuse/recycle yard to see if they may of had anything I can use now or in the future for brewing and found a load of demijohns for fifty p a piece. I see wine and cider and mead and all kinds of boozy goodness in the future. :party:

cool :cool:

no worries on the piccies... i'm in no rush. Got to finish the big brewery first! :lol:

Back