Do I need 2 boilers ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mm707

Reaction score
Sorry for all the stupid questions but the AG path is quite confusing at this stage :)

I was going to buy a burco or buffalo boiler.

I was told today that I need 2 boilers, one at the top for sparge water and the other at the bottom to collect the wort ready to boil.

Is this the case ?

Many thanks

You can get away with just one. I did for quite a while, but you need to drain the mash tun into another bucket until you finish sparging. Then transfer the wort back to the boiler after you emptied any water left over from the sparge. It's not as bad as it sounds. I used to use my fermenting bucket as the collector then pour it back into the boiler. But it's easier with two, but more expensive. But not essential, so it depends how your wallets fixed. :grin:

I don't think it is strictly neccesary, but many people have this setup.

The first one, for the mash/sparge water, is called the HLT (Hot Liquor Tank). You wouldn't ever boil anything in this, as you generally use mash/sparge water in the the 60-80 degree range. Some precise temperature control on this is useful.

The second one, where you receive the wort, really is a boiler, as you boil your wort in it (also called a kettle, copper, etc). Typically you don't need much control on this - just turn on the elements and boil away.

Some people have a single pot that they use as both boiler and HLT. I imagine you would need a bucket or something similar to collect the wort in, and once you've finished sparging, you'd pour the wort into the HLT/boiler and boil it with the hops. I haven't done this myself, so don't take my word for it :)

In my case, my HLT and boiler are essentially exactly the same design, except I have a hop filter in the boiler.

I have 2, a 26 litre HLT and a 40 litre for boiler, you can manage with one, but with 2 you can be sparging and starting the boil at the same time, just be mindfull of the amperage you are pulling with 2 running at the same time, my HLT is on the garage circuit while the boiler is on the kitchen cooker circuit.

+1 for you don't need it but it's useful. I too sparge into a bucket and then dump it back into the boiler, a grain bag makes life much easier too depending on how you work. :thumb:

bobsbeer said:
You can get away with just one. I did for quite a while, but you need to drain the mash tun into another bucket until you finish sparging. Then transfer the wort back to the boiler after you emptied any water left over from the sparge. It's not as bad as it sounds. I used to use my fermenting bucket as the collector then pour it back into the boiler.

I have a 40ltr buffalo, sparge into an old fermenting bucket then pour back into the boiler, not a problem :thumb:

Think we overcomplicate brewing at times :hmm:

Baz Chaz said:
I have a 40ltr buffalo, sparge into an old fermenting bucket then pour back into the boiler, not a problem :thumb:

Think we overcomplicate brewing at times :hmm:

I do the same but sparge into 2 fermenters, easier and safer to lift than one really full one. The only downside (apart from the lifting) is that I lose a bit more temp while the sparge is happening. This means it takes a bit longer to come back to the boil and makes the brewday a bit longer.

I too have one kettle/HLT. Most my brews are 25 litres (FV size) and so I need a kettle vol of 30 litres. I sparge into two buckets, collect 15 litres in each. When the HLT is emptied of sparge water I can pour the first bucket into the kettle and start heating it up for the boil. A pretty easy work around instead of buying another kettle.

3 tier system - simples! :roll:

He's right. But depends on your budget. If you can get them, do it. Get that part out of the way. There are hundreds of other steps and things you need to work out to make beer that you want to dream about sharing and drinking.

I only have 2. I use gas and electric.
If I need to sparge with 75, I hear, with gas, I heat the sparge water to 80. Then I dump it into my bottling bucket. It has a tap and all. I then take my HLT and start slowly putting in the wort from the mash tun. Slowly. I put my 80 degree water well above my mash tun and slowly drain in. Keeping the water level 5 cm above the grain. This can take a good hour.

Last edited:
I do everything in my Peco boiler, I control the mash temp with an Inkbird and recirculate the wort manually. I've used this method twice and it's works quite well.

Edit, I don't sparge, no need to the recirculation washes the grains but grains are so cheap anyway.

Last edited:
I have a Bulldog Brewer, which excellent but, I also have a 12l Ace boiler for the sparge water. Certainly makes brew days easier.

Depends also on how much sparge water you actually need. 10 Liters of 80º is just a matter of 5 liters of hot tap water (60º-ish) and 5 liters of boiling water from a tea kettle. More water? A seperate boiler is tempting!

Back