BRITAIN APPOINTS MINISTER FOR PUBS

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bru4u

Landlord.
Reaction score
I read this today :shock:

The British government has appointed a minister of pubs, who will be in
charge of trying to slow the rate at which pubs are closing. Wentworth MP
John Healey, also housing and planning minister, will head a five-minister
task force. He reportedly is considering tax breaks for pubs and giving
tenants the right to buy pubs from landlords if they are threatened with
closure. British Beer and Pub Association (BBPA) said the rate of pub
closures slowed from 52 a week in the first half of 2009 to 39 a week, but
remains a serious problem.

So what are they planning to do make people drink more, do you honestly think they'll reduce the tax on alcohol in order to start people going down the pub again. Pubs are a business to make profit if people dont go and spend their hard earned cash in a pub rather than buying 3 bottles of wine for a tenner at Asda what can the government do or what are they truely prepared to do as we all drink far too much anyways (aparently)

Dont get me wrong if they can reduce the amount of pubs closing bonus, maybe they can get someone to buy the pub by me (the only bloody pub in the village) as at the moment its just standing shut looking an eye sore. Ok so I can buy it at a reduced rate but then close it again 12 months later because I've ran out of cash...

Rant Over :oops:

Its ok having the chance to buy the pubs from the landlords however you've still got to buy the beer wine and spirits from the breweries that where the problems start the extortionate prices they charge
Also how can you compete with the supermarket chains who have offers cheaper than it can be brewed ?? :wha: :( :?

And just what is he hoping to acomplish in 3 months? They've spent the last 13 years screwing pubs, they're not going to do a thing now. Standard election pandering.

Only pub in the village . . . . . :hmm: . . . . . Perfect opportunity as long as you can get it free house . . . . Just need a small 2.5BBL brewery in the back. . . . Guy in the Northern Craft Brewer did this 18 months ago, and the Story teller brewery is a really nice little brewery . . . just brewing for the only pub in the village.

Well if youve got a spare 300k lets get it going..... and there is another building at the back that used to be a kids play area that could be converted into a brewery ...im sure the clubs/pubs in the surrounding villages would also take a barrel or 3...

Bagworth Brewery lets make it a reality ha ha !!

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back