Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chippy_Tea said:
I have just bottled my first ever Pomegranate wine and i can honestly say its the best i have made, really pleasant and really strong flavours, i might just try a 5 gallon version. :cheers:

Pomegranate wine.

2 litre Pomegranate juice.

1 litre WGJ.

700g Sugar.

1 tsp citric acid or juice of one lemon.

1 tsp Tannin or a mug of strong black tea.

1 tsp Yeast (i use youngs super yeast)

1 tsp Nutrient.

1 tsp Pectolase.

1 tsp Glycerene.

going to sound daft but are you topping this up to the full d.j with water as only got 3lt in this
cheers

Yes, I always top up after the first couple of days vigorous fermentation, I found the original wow's tasted a little water so added an extra litre of juice to give it more taste.
Give it a try i don't think you will be disappointed.

I have edited the original pomegranate recipe in this thread slightly - viewtopic.php?p=385624#p385624

Wino2012 posted

Go this on the go as of yesterday, hoping for great things...

1ltr WGJ
1ltr posh Innoccent apple juice
1ltr Pure pomegranite (POM 86% pomegranite, 14% blueberry) (£3.68 )

700 grams sugar
pectolase
tannin (tea)
citric
nutrient
Vintners CL23 yeast

WGJ and apple juice with all the usual suspects to start. Will then pitch the POM after initial ferment. I'm hopin for a good one. Bluberries and pomegranite both make nice wines. So have forked out for a posh apple juice and even posher pomegranite and blueberry. Around £6.50 all in all Fingers crossed

Just started this tonight, inspired by my recent ginger beer:

1 litre "breakfast juice" (10% grapefruit, 90% orange)
900g sugar (so total 1 kg sugars including the juice)
30g powdered ginger (about 1/3 what I used for my ginger beer, just to give it a mild gingery tang)
Water to 4.5 litres.

I'm using dry-pitched Allinson's bakers yeast again because it worked great for the ginger beer, and I'm tight! I did add Wilko yeast nutrient though (belatedly, after two hours, when I suddenly remembered!) I don't know if bakers yeast can keep working up to wine-strength but I'm about to find out! But the granules started fizzing virtually the instant they hit the water, it's very fast.

If I survive drinking last week's ginger beer I'll let you know how this orange ginger wine turns out! (Oops, forgot to do an OG reading, bit late now it's been going about 4 hours.)

Seven days on and activity is down to a bubble per 30 secs at most (at 23°C) and gravity is now .991 (I forgot to do an SG reading though!) Tastes fine but I think I can still detect a little sugar in it, it may be that the baker's yeast gives up at lower alcohol concentrations, though admittely the gravity is low enough to suggest complete fermentation so maybe its just the inherent orange flavour that I'm mistaking for sweetness? My plan is to decant it into my spare dj in the next day or two and then leave it a few weeks to clear.

Another success, not sure if i prefer it to the pomegranate wine in post one of this thread but it is a very close second. :thumb:

Chippy_Tea said:
My WOW Variant.

1 litre RGJ (162g sugar) Booths supermarket
2 litres cranberry & blackcurrant juice drink. (234g total for both) Booths supermarket
700g sugar.
1 tsp super wine yeast.
1 tsp nutrient
1 tsp pectolase
1 tsp tannin (2 tea bag brew)
1 tsp glycerine

simkin, kiddo, that pineapple varient is the DB's :thumb: Last I saw, SWMBO was seen running down the country lane with it, laughing the laugh of the committed :rofl:

OldPeculier posted -

Asda had a 5 for £4 deal on their chilled juices so it seemed rude not to partake.

I did; 2 litre pineapple + 1litre white grape
2 litre Cherry + 1 litre white grape
2 litre Forest fruits + 1 litre white grape

All made up with 600g sugar and made up to about 4 litres which gave an SG of 1.095 which is about right if you adjust it to 4.5 litres. I will top them up in a day or two.

Each had half a teaspoon of; pectalase, citric acid, nutrient. a teaspoon of glycerine and richies wine yeast and a cup of tea.

Wasabi said:
1 litre "breakfast juice" (10% grapefruit, 90% orange)
900g sugar (so total 1 kg sugars including the juice)
30g powdered ginger
Now two weeks since I decanted this into my second DJ after it finished fermenting, hasn't cleared yet (didn't use finings) though another 5mm of sediment has settled out, but I decided to bottle it anyhow to free up the DJ for my Wilko Carbernet Sauvignon kit, also so I could put it into the fridge since there's nowhere in the house cooler than 23°C and I get the impression it is likely to mature better if kept cool. Tastes just like vodka and orange actually but not as sweet, I think it may be around 13%, seems quite strong anyhow. Be interesting to see if it ends up tasting like a wine, bearing in mind I didn't use any grape juice.

Chippy_Tea said:
Jonny69 posted -

Best one so far is for a rosé:

1.5 litre of red grape

1 litre of apple juice

750g sugar in a gallon brew.

It was *just* short of flavour though and I added a dash of strawberry Ribena when serving. I may add a teaspoon of acid if it needs it.
I'd like to modify that recipe slightly because I've finalised it.
1 litre red grape
1 litre apple
500ml of another red juice e.g. strawberry, cherry, cranberry, fruits of the forest etc
750g sugar
Water to 1 gallon

Brew out, but add to each 750ml bottle 2 tsp white sugar and 0.5 tsp malic acid. This really improves it. Either stabilise it or store it in the fridge once sweetened, otherwise it will continue to ferment.

my variant just started today follows the original recipe but with 2 liters of rubicon lychee juice... i figure its really nice juice so it should be pretty tasty wine... :)

2 liters rubicon lychee juice
around 800g Sugar
1 tsp Pectolase
1 tsp Tannin
1 tsp Glycerine
1 tsb Youngs Super wine Yeast
1 tsb Youngs yeast nutrient

cant wait to see how it turns out!

D3RF said:
my variant just started today follows the original recipe but with 2 liters of rubicon lychee juice... i figure its really nice juice so it should be pretty tasty wine... :)

2 liters rubicon lychee juice
around 800g Sugar
1 tsp Pectolase
1 tsp Tannin
1 tsp Glycerine
1 tsb Youngs Super wine Yeast
1 tsb Youngs yeast nutrient

cant wait to see how it turns out!

Thanks for adding your recipe to the thread, as i have never tastes lychee could you describe the tastes.

DirtyCaner posted -

Hi Folks,

I bottled a batch of beer yesterday and seeing as I had all the sterilising stuff out thought I steriles a DJ to make some WOW today. I thought I'd try something new, I usually make Rose.

How does this sound.

2 x 1l apple juice
1l WGJ
900 sugar
Water to 1gallon

Usual additives.

Robbo posted.

5 Litres of Blueberry Juice
10 litres of Red Grape Juice
2.5 kg sugar
5 teaspoons of citric acid
5 teaspoons of yeast nutrient
1 sachet of Lavlin K1V-1116

I have done this wine before and I fermented it to dry, but I preferred it to be back sweetened to taste.

Robbo posted

This is a cheap 5 gallon wine

5 litres of apple juice (Asda Smart Price 68p for 1.5 litres)
5 litres of Pressed White Grape (Asda £1.00 per litre)
3.5kg of sugar (Tescos sell 5kg bags for £3.99)
5 tsp yeast nutrient
5 tsp citric acid
1 sachet of Lavlin K1V-1116

This wine can be fermented dry or back sweetened to taste

mikey1967 said:
does all WOW need to contain grape juice to be classed as a wine?
Strictly speaking, all WOW needs to contain orange juice, but this topic is about people's variations on that basic recipe of grape juice plus some other fruit juice.

‘Made wines’ don't need to contain grape juice at all. You can ferment apple juice to maker cider or you can ferment apple juice to make apple wine, the definition (according to HMRC) changes somewhere around 8 or 9% abv

WOW variants do really need to contain grape juice, that's what contributes to the body and vinosity.

Apologies to Chippy_Tea but I think that both question and answer are valid within this topic.

does all WOW need to contain grape juice to be classed as a wine?

Strictly speaking, all WOW needs to contain orange juice, but this topic is about people's variations on that basic recipe of grape juice plus some other fruit juice‘Made wines’ don't need to contain grape juice at all. You can ferment apple juice to maker cider or you can ferment apple juice to make apple wine, the definition (according to HMRC) changes somewhere around 8 or 9% abv

WOW variants do really need to contain grape juice, that's what contributes to the body and vinosity.

Apologies to Chippy_Tea but I think that both question and answer are valid within this topic.

No apology needed Moley, i have edited the OP and taken out the part about not discussing recipes and asking questions, in retrospect i think encouraging discussion will benefit the thread. :cheers:

Nice Wine

1ltr WGJ
1ltr Orange and Pineapple
1/2 ltr grapefruit
700g sugar

Usual suspects - double up to make 2 gallons to use the extra grapefruit

CL23 Yeast - It is a little sharp, but thats how I like it! And of course mellows with age :cheers:

for a 25ltr batch

7 ltr WGJ
3 ltr apple juice
2 ltr pineapple juice
1 ltr grapefruit
1 ltr passion fruit

sugar equivalent to 1050g per 5 ltr taking into account the juice sugar, you do the maths!!!
Usual suspects
Gervin all purpose yeast :cheers:

Back