Wilkinsons 1 Gallon Demi John for a £5

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the heads up, i think they are normally �£7:50 so a good saving.
Your welcome i just hope that it's helpful to somebody, they are normally £7 so there's an extra couple of quid for juice etc :thumb:

Ive always bought mine from charity shops, you can get them for £2-3, and they normally come with air locks and bungs too! worth a scour!

I only ever pay a quid for mine, usually at carboots, but find the 5 Litre water bottles from the big supermarkets are a very good substitute, in fact i tend to use them more often and dispose of after use, although they are probably good for 5-10 brews if properly cleaned and sterilized......

Ive always bought mine from charity shops, you can get them for �£2-3, and they normally come with air locks and bungs too! worth a scour!

I have found them in charity shops but the staff say they sell as soon as they come in, i guess home brew is becoming popular again.

could be, yes... when I bought mine it was maybe 10 years ago now, for home made cider.

Ive always bought mine from charity shops, you can get them for �£2-3, and they normally come with air locks and bungs too! worth a scour!
Yes i've been looking in them but as Chippy says they are in and out :-( but a good tip though :grin:

And coopsy thats another handy tip regarding carboots :thumb:

As has been mentioned you can make a DJ from a 5 litre water bottle, you can get grommets from home brew shops or ebay, some members just drill a 9mm hole and its tight enough to seal the airlock when inserted, if you can borrow a cone drill its 28mm for a standard airlock and bung.

$_86.JPG

As has been mentioned you can make a DJ from a 5 litre water bottle, you can get grommets from home brew shops or ebay, some members just drill a 9mm hole and its tight enough to seal the airlock when inserted, if you can borrow a cone drill its 28mm for a standard airlock and bung.
Chippy, i've bought a few 3L Summer Fruits plastic bottles over the months, i've now got 2x summer fruits and 2x tropical juice brewing :smile: in 3L bottle's that the SF came in, it must be possible to fit an appropriate airlock on there?

RB some members screw the original cap on then back it off enough to let the CO2 escape, I preferred to drill a 9mm hole and fit an airlock.

RB some members screw the original cap on then back it off enough to let the CO2 escape,
Yes that's what i've done thanks Chippy :thumb: but i think for a more professional job i'll look into drilling the top in the future :D

Back