Ships with no crew.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So pilots still do a bit of the work. Planes can't be 100% automated?

I do not want to be cruising at 30'000ft and see this flash up.
error86.png

:lol:

Here is one scenario - one crew free ship sailing along when the computer malfunctions an starts dumping fuel causing a massive oil slick. In turn that injures and kills sea life and sea birds - all of which make up the natural eco-system. Some of which could be endangered species. A top class programmer somewhere manages to over-write the error and switch the computer off. Another ship then has to go and rescue the first one - double the pollution. Marine biologists, teams of clear-up experts, etc all then have to get to the spill - treble the pollution - let alone the suffering to thee wildlife affected. Yes, I know its all very dramatic - and all very possible. I shall step down off my very green high horse now, but mankinds greed has already destroyed so much of this planet - it seems like we (humans) will never learn.

Interesting, but I reckon that (as someone else has said for air travel), the majority of marine pollution incidents are down to human error (i.e. the squishy bits on any vessel). So if that were out of the equation (with appropriate backups/squishy administrators) then the chances are that risk might be reduced.

Aircraft are flown by computers once in the sky!

Pilots are there simply to take off and land the thing

You make it sound as though taking off & landing are the really simple things. You imply that, once in the air, the autopilot does the tricky bit - keeping the plane more-or-less on course and at the desired speed and altitude. Doesn't sound like the difficult part, to me!
I have spent a lot of time at sea. We had "autopilot" back in the 1970s. With a bit of luck, it kept you on your preferred heading. If the sea cut up rough, it got foxed. You could dial in preferences for "rudder" (how much, and how quickly, the ship's rudder was turned) - and also "counter-rudder" (basically, guessing how quickly and how much to add an opposite "tweak" so that the boat didn't over-compensate & veer well off course). If the sea was pretty calm, it would work most of the time. But, clearly, that's not good enough - so you had to have someone watching it's performance the whole time - so it was effectively useless.
Maybe things have improved - I'm sure they will have done. But, I reckon a ship's autopilot will be fine for a supertanker. For a 10m fishing boat, no way. Give me a guy who knows the handling characteristics of his own boat - and also his own sea (fetch, swell, currents, shoals & how they disturb things). No computer yet devised is going to come remotely close to handling a wee boat in a stiff wind-over-tide situation where keeping the boat head-to wind might be critical.

I'm also inclined to put my life in the hands of a real, experienced, human pilot when it comes to take-off & landing. They can go to sleep, or whatever, once up to cruising altitude & velocity.

Am I just too old??? :-(

I would like to know how insurance works with driverless cars and the implications and liability as to who is responsible when sensors become dirty and stop working and cars start killing people after a year or two of use and things break as they do in anything that is shaken and bounced around on british potholed roads.

Personally i hope somebody wakes up and realises how ridiculous driverless anything really is before the first person in history is killed by one. it could be YOU

I would like to know how insurance works with driverless cars and the implications and liability as to who is responsible when sensors become dirty and stop working and cars start killing people after a year or two of use and things break as they do in anything that is shaken and bounced around on british potholed roads.

This is another interesting side of it - what are the failure modes of these?
I used to have a Peugeot 206. One of it's failure modes was for the coilpack to fail. It was the insulation that failed - allowing high voltage to jump to the control line - connected to the ECU. Mine did this, so at full cruising speed - it blew it's brains out. The engine died, but as brakes relied on engine vacuum to work - they stopped working too, and having power steering - that stopped working. So there was I cruising along with no steering and no brakes. To top it all, the hazard warning lights only lasted about 10 minutes before they too stopped working.

Fortunately it is now in the bin, but does show how something unexpected can lead to a disastrous chain of events.

Australian transport minister approves driverless cars - then proves how safe they are by ploughing into a fake Kangaroo

Mr Mullighan replied: “I think it was set to ‘cull’, not ‘avoid’.” :lol:

imagine that stuffed kangaroo was you or your child crossing the road

i see wholesale slaughter on the roads

I originally thought this was going to referance the ship that washed ashore in Liberia last week. 65 meter oil transport vessel, cargo still aboard so piracy ruled out. No sign of the crew, last bits of info and paperwork investigators have found is from 2014. Spooky eh???

Didn't hear about that. This kind of thing has been happening for hundreds of years with ships. How can it happen in the 21st century? I boggles the mind

Didn't hear about that. This kind of thing has been happening for hundreds of years with ships. How can it happen in the 21st century? I boggles the mind

That was the main narrative of the article to be honest. How does a vessel that big stray into a countries waters and not get noticed? Maybe a computer watching the horizon?

It also mentioned the amount of ships and small vessels that wash up with dead bodies aboard in Japan. Widely believed to be people escaping north Korea

That was the main narrative of the article to be honest. How does a vessel that big stray into a countries waters and not get noticed? Maybe a computer watching the horizon?

It also mentioned the amount of ships and small vessels that wash up with dead bodies aboard in Japan. Widely believed to be people escaping north Korea

Do you have a link to this article? Sounds really interesting

So pilots still do a bit of the work. Planes can't be 100% automated?

Pretty sure they can do that too in all but the most extreme weather. I've heard of pilots using the automatic landing function to land planes when visibility drops to effectively zero. They use a series of beacons on/around the runway to very accurately plot their position so the plane knows exactly when it'll touch down. The only thing they can't do is see a gust coming across the runway for example.

I have spent a lot of time at sea. We had "autopilot" back in the 1970s. With a bit of luck, it kept you on your preferred heading. If the sea cut up rough, it got foxed. You could dial in preferences for "rudder" (how much, and how quickly, the ship's rudder was turned) - and also "counter-rudder" (basically, guessing how quickly and how much to add an opposite "tweak" so that the boat didn't over-compensate & veer well off course). If the sea was pretty calm, it would work most of the time. But, clearly, that's not good enough - so you had to have someone watching it's performance the whole time - so it was effectively useless.
Maybe things have improved - I'm sure they will have done. But, I reckon a ship's autopilot will be fine for a supertanker. For a 10m fishing boat, no way. Give me a guy who knows the handling characteristics of his own boat - and also his own sea (fetch, swell, currents, shoals & how they disturb things). No computer yet devised is going to come remotely close to handling a wee boat in a stiff wind-over-tide situation where keeping the boat head-to wind might be critical.

There was a really cool (I'm a geek) article in the sailing press (probably Y&Y) about the auto pilot systems on the latest IMOCA60 boats and their role in the continued tumbling of records. Although boats themselves are obviously getting faster and faster too with things like sail tech, gybing keels, DSS blades etc, the latest autopilots now mean the boats sail themselves almost as fast as a human can manage so rather than 24h records being set only when the helm does a 24h shift on the tiller they now get set all the time when the weather is favorable.

Probably a good thing, the noise coming from the DSS is deafening, I can't imagine the helm's are going to be in any fit state for decision making after 80 days!

And how could it wander so close without being spotted by radar etc
Radar only works by line of sight, so unless a ship actually saw it then it'd go unnoticed. And with loads of ships on the sea, unless it was actually in your way and not moving causing you to call it on the radio it was probably ignored by anyone who did spot it.

Personally i hope somebody wakes up and realises how ridiculous driverless anything really is before the first person in history is killed by one. it could be YOU

And here he is! The first person to be killed by a driverless car and the numbers will rise dramatically as the stupid think its a good ideahttp://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwpsWs6iU

For once Stephen Hawking actually said something intelligent this week;

" Pollution and Human stupidity will destroy the world"

It sure will, i saw a lone cyclist exercising his legal right to ride on a main road at 9.00am whilst traffic behind the idiot was brought to a crawl for over 2 miles behind him.

Yep, the "Stupid" are out there and breeding!

I supposed someone's got to be first. I remember reading about the first recorded death from smoking in the early 17th Century (I didnt read about it in newspaper at the time btw :D) and wondering how many people have been killed by tobacco over the centuries

Apparently the white trailer against the white background/sky confused it, this seems to me to be another solution to a problem that does not exist.

It sure will, i saw a lone cyclist exercising his legal right to ride on a main road at 9.00am whilst traffic behind the idiot was brought to a crawl for over 2 miles behind him.

I find cyclists, caravans, mobile homes and tractors a real PITA as i drive in the lakes as part of my job however you don't know if the cycle is this blokes only mode of transport and at that time of day i assume he is going to work, having said that if he is a Lycra clad Wiggins wannabee looking type with no back pack or panniers knock him off next time.

(only joking)

Latest posts

Back