Hop Spider or Screen for Braumeister

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crystal_Ball

Reaction score
Basically im after some user advice on this one. I have the 20L Braumeister and want the clean up process to be a bit easier and quicker. Currently I use a BIAB bag for the hops but am sick of cleaning that each time.

Has anyone used the BM Hop Screen?

Yeah I've got one. The big heavy steel grate type affair. It's great for leaf hops. Less great for pellets. I find I still put the finished wort through a small sieve when I'm filling the fermenter to catch the seeds and any random trub. Works a treat. And I love my BM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basically im after some user advice on this one. I have the 20L Braumeister and want the clean up process to be a bit easier and quicker. Currently I use a BIAB bag for the hops but am sick of cleaning that each time.

Has anyone used the BM Hop Screen?
do you mean hopsock, a tube of socking you knot up the hops in? afaik they are intended for single use , disposable, life is too short to de-seed/stem 50ps worth of cotton stockinette;) and if you mean a nylon net bag a SS mesh hop spider will require a similar stiff nylon brushing to remove dry debris as a nylon bag does.

Yeah I've got one. The big heavy steel grate type affair. It's great for leaf hops. Less great for pellets. I find I still put the finished wort through a small sieve when I'm filling the fermenter to catch the seeds and any random trub. Works a treat. And I love my BM.

I see you use the filter in your vids. Can you add it at the beginning of the boil so that the lid isn't slightly open during the mash?
Don't the pellets just rest in the bottom as a sludge like material so wouldn't cause too much of a blockage anyway?
I too love my BM! I cant stop want to brew with it!

do you mean hopsock, a tube of socking you knot up the hops in? afaik they are intended for single use , disposable, life is too short to de-seed/stem 50ps worth of cotton stockinette;) and if you mean a nylon net bag a SS mesh hop spider will require a similar stiff nylon brushing to remove dry debris as a nylon bag does.

I imagine if any good that a hop spider or screen would be easier to clean rather than a great big floppy nylon bag that I currently use.

as a hop spider user initially with a nylon ex-grain bag, the easiest way to clear of hop derbis i found is to initially rinse and then dry inside out, the rest of the vegetable matter can then be brushed off with a stiff brush and then a 2nd rinse should leave it ready to go :)

I see you use the filter in your vids. Can you add it at the beginning of the boil so that the lid isn't slightly open during the mash?
Don't the pellets just rest in the bottom as a sludge like material so wouldn't cause too much of a blockage anyway?
I too love my BM! I cant stop want to brew with it!

Yeah totally I don't put my filter in until I am about to add my first hop addition. So no worries with a lid during the mash. And I generally always boil with the lid off.

Your right about the pellets. With a good co-ag they all drop out in the cold break. Although the filter defo stops some of the pellet debris coming through and my sieve catches everything else.

I bought the BAC one from Brew UK, pricey but great and a dream to clean. There is a very cheap one on AliExpress that seems to be the same mesh so I guess it depends on your budget.

Latest posts

Back