Any Diabetics ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyboy1965

Landlord.
Reaction score
Im a little confused....the Doctor has told me, but more or less told me to look it up on-line. I know I should have asked him to explain further, but I just wanted to get out of there

I work/worked with a number of clients who are diabetic. There are two types Type I and Type II . Type I have to inject insulin as their bodies dont produce any. Type II control there diabetes by the correct lifestyle choices, diet etc. as their bodies produce some insulin but not enough
Did the doctor indicate which diabete you have

I work/worked with a number of clients who are diabetic. There are two types Type I and Type II . Type I have to inject insulin as their bodies dont produce any. Type II control there diabetes by the correct lifestyle choices, diet etc. as their bodies produce some insulin but not enough
Did the doctor indicate which diabete you have
THX for your reply..I understand Type 1...Type 2 etc, but they said that I was "Prediabetic" I understand this to be "Sort your diet out or you will become T2D, sooner, rather than later. So, if I watch my sugar/carb intake I should be OK.....Update...just spoke the the Nurse/ Practioner and she said "The Doctor should have refered you to me straight away, Doctors are very busy (I nearly said something at this stage)".
So, Ive got to go and see her at 09.00 Mon AM

My father has diabetes for many years, i have never heard of PREDIABETES.

https://www.diabetes.org.uk

PREDIABETES: WHAT’S IT ALL ABOUT?

Tuesday 15 July 2014

During the last few weeks, prediabetes has been talked about a lot in the media. But there is still some uncertainty around what it actually means.

Here Simon O’Neill, Director of Healthcare and Professional Liaison, explains just why it’s important that we identify people who have a high chance of getting Type 2 diabetes and do all we can to help them avoid it if they can.

“We know that doctors use a range of terms such as prediabetes, borderline diabetes, Impaired Fasting Glucose (IFG), Impaired Glucose Tolerance (IGT) and Impaired Glucose Regulation (IGR). And these might sometimes sound confusing. Your first question might be ‘does this mean I have Type 2 diabetes?’, ‘does this mean I’ll definitely get Type 2 diabetes?’ or even ‘does this mean I’m in the clear?’
“The answer to all of these is no. You don’t have Type 2 diabetes at the moment, but you do need to act now if you want to try and avoid it.

“Simply put, these terms can all be used to explain that your blood glucose levels are higher than normal, but not high enough for you to be diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. They are largely based on an individual measurement of your blood glucose levels, regardless of any other factors. Having high blood glucose levels can increase your risk of developing Type 2 diabetes and other health complications, although this is not inevitable.

“Prediabetes isn’t actually a clinical term which is recognised by the World Health Organization. In fact, the American Diabetes Association has set the level for prediabetes at a blood glucose measurement of HbA1C 5.7% (39mmol/mol) but it is the only organisation which uses this criteria. In the UK there is no defined criteria for prediabetes or borderline diabetes.

“So why do some clinicians still use it? Well we know that sometimes it can be useful when explaining your individual risk of developing Type 2 diabetes. It emphasises how serious it is to have high blood glucose levels. Between 5% and 10% of people with prediabetes go on to develop Type 2 diabetes each year.

“It can also be helpful when looking into the risk of Type 2 diabetes within a population. So, knowing that up to 18 million people in the UK potentially fall into this category highlights the need for public health interventions in order to avoid a dramatic increase in Type 2 diabetes.

“At Diabetes UK, we use another way of measuring someone’s risk of going on to develop Type 2 diabetes. Our risk score was developed in partnership with the University of Leicester and it determines the likelihood of getting Type 2 diabetes based on seven different risk factors, including family history, age and BMI. It doesn't look at blood glucose levels.

"If you haven’t already found out your risk, why don’t you head over to our online risk score which only takes a few minutes to complete, or see whether we have a Healthy Lifestyle Roadshow coming to your area where you can be risk assessed.

“Whether you’re found to be at risk using our online tool, or whether your doctor has told you that you have prediabetes or any of the other similar terms I’ve mentioned, this means you have a higher chance of developing Type 2 diabetes, which is a lifelong condition. Knowing this is the first step to being able to do something about it.

“Around 80% of cases of Type 2 diabetes could be delayed or prevented through making lifestyle changes. Eating a healthy balanced diet, low in salt, sugar and fat and rich in fruit and vegetables, as well as being physically active is the best way of reducing your risk. Even if you’re not overweight, maintaining a healthy weight through eating well and being active is an important part of managing blood glucose levels and avoiding other health complications.

“Of course, it’s not just down to you. Healthcare professionals should support all people who have a higher risk of Type 2 diabetes, whichever way this has been identified.”

THX for your reply..I understand Type 1...Type 2 etc, but they said that I was "Prediabetic" I understand this to be "Sort your diet out or you will become T2D, sooner, rather than later. So, if I watch my sugar/carb intake I should be OK.....Update...just spoke the the Nurse/ Practioner and she said "The Doctor should have refered you to me straight away, Doctors are very busy (I nearly said something at this stage)".
So, Ive got to go and see her at 09.00 Mon AM

I've never heard of pre-diabeties but I have a client who was diagnosed with high sugar levels (so is probably in fact pre-diabetic) and he was told to manage his diet as you mention above. He did so and has been at a similar managed state for several years

Do not panic, prediabetic simply means "if you carry on with your current lifestyle you will eventually get type 2 diabetes".
This condition is reversible. Getting your energy mainly from carbs (glucose) really hammers the pancreas so try to lower your carb intake and eat more fats.
My wife was diagnosed prediabetic and she now follows a low-carb, high fat diet. 1 month later she had a blood test and was not prediabetic any more.
I recommend this website, but am not affiliated with it in any way other than being a fan!:
http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

Back