From Brick Phones to Phablets: 40 Years of Cell Phones

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This was my first analogue mobile phone from approximately 20 years ago, how things have changed.

Which phone was your first?

phone.jpg

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgWRdldVAzQ[/ame]

I first bought a pager in 1998 then went to Israel following my team in the Champions League and everybody had a mobile. When I got back home I bought an Analogue Nokia, think this was my first phone:

I also got to choose my number an had a really handy number, something like 07850005000 but I gave away the phone to a mate along with the number. This was long before I realised that I could have kept the sim card/ number.

Nokia, they were the favourite for donkeys years whatever happened to them.

Nokia, they were the favourite for donkeys years whatever happened to them.

Went almost bust after trying to follow BlackBerry with the smart phone Windows based device.

Nokia actual began trading many moons back, there first product was toilet paper.

My first phone was a Philips savvy, given to me by my over bearing mother when I was 13 and got an early morning paper round. Do kids still do that?

I remember a lad at work showing me he could edit pictures and zoom in and out on his Nokia phone, i was amazed, if you had told me then we would be viewing the internet (almost) anywhere i would have laughed.

We went from massive brick phones to tiny ones with small screens and now we have gone the other way again, i wonder what will come next.

I used to have a morning paper round we didn't know it at the time but the wages then would have got the shop owners in trouble for slave labour. :lol:

This was (and still is) my favourite phone, this was in the days when you couldn't view the internet so big screens were not that important, i always liked the clam shell design and the screen on the outside was a great idea and it looked good. (you chose what to had showing on the outside screen, i had the clock)

SS1.jpg
ss4.jpg
ss3.jpg

This was (and still is) my favourite phone, this was in the days when you couldn't view the internet so big screens were not that important, i always liked the clam shell design and the screen on the outside was a great idea and it looked good. (you chose what to have showing on the outside screen, i had the clock)

SS1.jpg
ss4.jpg
ss3.jpg

Was that the razor or however the marketing guys spelled it?

As for paper round, I got a pound a round, so I did one in the morning before school, came home ironed my school shirt, helped with my smaller siblings, then went to school, finished then did another. 14 quid a week! I was loaded!

No it was the Samsung E720 i think the Razor was a lot thinner.

How dumb turning the torch on and shining it into the camera lens. :doh:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeTIJGT_qa8[/ame]

I recently bought a Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 to replace my trusty Samsung which Mrs Tea persuaded me to give her when her phone broke, i didn't know Vodafone made their own phones and after watching many reviews i decided to buy it, it is a great phone (as the guy in the video says), the Samsung was more than twice the price and it had a smaller screen. (I have the dark grey version)

$_35.JPG

Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 review: the only thing that's budget about the Smart Ultra 6 is its price tag -

The Smart Ultra 6 is a �£115 budget smartphone with a full HD 5.5in IPS display, an octa-core Snapdragon 615 chipset that boasts 13mp (rear facing) and 5mp (front facing) cameras and weighs only 159g.

Vodafone, like other carriers, has started to manufacture its own line of smartphones namely the Smart Ultra 6 and Smart Prime 6, two budget 4G smartphones that aren’t quite as budget as the price tag suggests. The Smart Ultra 6 is a 5.5in smartphone with an octa-core Snapdragon 615 chipset that boasts 13mp (rear facing) and 5mp (front facing) cameras and weighs only 159g.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dkKUJDV4i8[/ame]

On modern phones, I own an Elephone P8000, bought from China for £120 and I would never go back to buying on the High Street again. The phone is a Samsung clone but with many added features. I get 2 days battery even though it's a 5.5" HD screen. I bought my Son a Cubot X1 at XMas last year and he's well chuffed with it. It was a sub £50 phone but the specs beat anything under £100 on the UK High Street. I've now bought many things from China, even just today a Bluetooth Headset arrived that cost me a whopping £4. The headset is brilliant, good sound and really loud, it even has phone functions although I bought it to work with a tablet.

This was (and still is) my favourite phone, this was in the days when you couldn't view the internet so big screens were not that important, i always liked the clam shell design and the screen on the outside was a great idea and it looked good. (you chose what to had showing on the outside screen, i had the clock)

SS1.jpg
ss4.jpg
ss3.jpg

I loved that phone. I had it but decided to sell it for the latest model but ended up going back to it. Mine was black

Living in the Grampian Mountains meant that I couldn't get a signal until as late as 2001 and by that time the "brick" phones had been consigned to history.

In the early days of mobile phones I sat on a train opposite some prat who was shouting at his "brick" for about fifteen minutes before sticking it into his briefcase.

The friend I was travelling with asked "Do you have a mobile phone?" to which I replied (loud enough for the man opposite to hear) "I don't need one. I have a secretary." :thumb: :thumb:

Funnily enough, the man opposite didn't need to use his phone for the rest of the journey! :whistle: :whistle:

Even now, all I have is a PAYG iPhone. :thumb::thumb:

Back