Bottling - glass or PET plastic?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought some pet bottles off ebay and one or 2 had a slightly oval top, soon sorted by holding the top in hot water for 30 seconds then screwing the cap on and leaving to cool, maybe that's why people have reported leaking pet bottles

Both are fine never had a problem with the coopers ones leaking and they have an advantage you can squeeze it to see how hard/carbonated it is. I have both but always seem to use glass but never thought about why. Tightening that many screw caps no better or worse bad than capping in my opinion.
Talking about squeezing plastic bottles....

I came across this tip to eliminate the air at the top when bottling.

https://youtu.be/HzMiP0NwGOQ

Anyone tried doing this? Is an inch of air at the top when bottling that critical such that it will affect the beer?

Deff glass. the pets are dodgy on carbonation and the beers just seems cleaner from glass.

Last batch of cider - 50% went flat. New fliptops. Washer not doing the right job. PET for me next time.

In spite of what some people say about PET bottles 'not holding carbonation', I use PET bottles and have no problems with carbonation or anything else for that matter. That's a fact based on experience.

As well as everything else I use coopers PET bottles to make sparkling wine. A year in one of those and the bottle is still tight like a brick, no noticeable loss of pressure. Couldn't tell you what the pressure is but I prime with 100g sugar per gallon.

Worth noting if you're new to Coopers bottles, take the anti tamper strip off the screwcap before fitting, it's a lot easier to do it then than cut it off after you've drunk the beer. They don't perform any useful function and they're just a dirt trap when you come to wash and reuse the bottle.

Back