Hop Sock for pellets?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, it's been a while since I was active on the board ... but still brewing.
Planning a recipe from the "BYO" magazine and it calls for hop pellets. Have only ever used hop leafs. I think the hop sock will let too much sludge through - any good practice advice how to handle pellets during boil?

I boil with pellets in a hop sock, don't have any problems by doing so while pumping out of the GF, anything that does get out is trapped in the trub after 2/3 weeks of fermentation. I also dry hop using one, as it isn't being disturbed any fine particles seem to stay stuck together in the sock, careful racking though is always still good practice before bottling/kegging.

I've just brewed a pale ale using pellets in a hop sock. No issues at boil or when dry hopping. I guess it depends on how fine your mesh is.

OK guys - thanks for the input.
I'll try the hop socks - as I drain the wort through a strainer anyway I could change that to a fine nylon one. Also got some of those nylon strainer bags. So I am covered.

Substitute leaf hops for the pellets?

I just bung em in the kettle same as with leaf hops. No screens or filters used - I pass everything through a fine mesh bag in a large funnel on the way into the fermenter. Break, leaf hops and pellet hops all get nicely filtered out.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Substitute leaf hops for the pellets?

I just bung em in the kettle same as with leaf hops. No screens or filters used - I pass everything through a fine mesh bag in a large funnel on the way into the fermenter. Break, leaf hops and pellet hops all get nicely filtered out.

Do you syphon or is it a tap? Doesn't the tap clog up? I was going to try that as its a lot of messing around with hop additions at different times.

I've got a nice broad tap on the boiler. Usually only clogs if I've used a lot of leaf hops - then I just use a big jug to transfer it to the strainer.

I used to use hop socks for pellets, it doesn't stop everything getting through but they retain a surprising amount so definitely worth it IMO. There is an argument that it impacts utilisation but it has never caused me problems.

If using just pellets you can remove the hop filter, add them directly to the boiler and do a bit of whirlpool at the end with a big spoon. Then let them settle and drain as normal. You do have to be careful if you tip the boiler to get the last dregs out though as the pellets crud is quite mobile.

IMG_0748.jpg

Back