ag brewers....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not for me, I really enjoy making and mending things. My current set up is all home made from cool boxes and plastic FV's turned in to HLT and boilers using elements from cheap kettles etc. I quite enjoy sloshing liquids from one vessel to another as I feel like I'm part of the process.

A big no from me.
I prefer to keep things simple. In fact have even toyed with the idea of abandoning the electric boiler for a big stainless stockpot and an open fire.

Its a miracle they sell going by the posts on this thread, i would have one in a minute, just need to get a bigger padlock for my shed 😉

My initial reaction was '**** yeah i would'. But after some deliberation i'm pretty sure its just my lust for shiny things and technology thats driving it.

As others have stated brewing for me is about learning the whole process, not just brewing consistent beer. I want to get to a stage with my brewing where i know that doing x at this particular point will effect the beer in a certain way. While i think the Grainfather is great for people looking to brew their own beer consistently with little effort, it does feel like gadgetisation of the whole process.

That's a real Sophie's choice!

If I upped sticks and moved tomorrow I would like the idea that the GF would fit in with almost any property (I wouldn't be able to brew outdoors in a flat or on the stove if a property only had induction hobs.) I also like the idea of having most of the process automated so that I could focus on geeking around with the recipes a little more and not constantly worrying about if all the grain will fit in my MT!

However:

I love the slightly primitive/rustic approach of: "grains in hot water with fire under it". It might not yield as consistent results but I can honestly say that I've made good beer (once I even made great beer, honest!) I suppose it would depend on how connected I still felt with the process.
It's the old law of diminishing returns I guess; you plateau in terms of your skill-set and get annoyed when something goes a little wrong once you've got it dialed-in. With the GF you are literally dialing in numbers via an app and that bit still feels a little like cheating to me.
Put it this way: I'd happily take one as a gift if you're listening, Santa.

I'm quite surprised at the answers too..in particular the split with seasoned pot users..I eventually will want to try ag and price wise the pots is the way to go...but...I like the idea of the containment and control of the process...I work with similar equipment although on an industrial scale...pumps,heat exchangers, flow meters,computer controlled etc so this is all easy for me to deal with..but as with controlled systems repetition can be made easy and processes nailed down but multiple components that are custom built for each other can make for a complete shut down if just one item fails. I use pumps in work costing tens of thousands which are like anything else...great when they run but a lump of scrap if they don't. I wonder what the spares and repairs are like on the GF?

Cheers

Clint

For the AG brewers out there who brew with non Grainfather type equipment ie. Boilers,gas,etc...Would you swap to a grainfather type set up if you could?
No chance!
Anyone who's seen my build on this forum wouldn't expect me to answer any differently! Complete control, versatility, much larger capacity, ability to instil jealousy in those that see it (!), and on, and on. But to balance that there was years of designing, a year building it, and I'm still tweaking things two extra years down the line.

..I eventually will want to try ag and price wise the pots is the way to go...but..
Clint
AG is the way to go...amazingly clean tasting beer...no HBT...can even sample it from the fermenter before bottling...plus the total flexibilty recipe wise, and magic of mixing strike water with freshly ground malt and 60minutes later you are draining a sweet wort. etc..etc :thumb:

Have a look at geterbrewed and the homebrew company's biab starter kits.

Similar small foot print to a gf and a great starting point. As mentioned I'm very happy with mine and if/when I gives up I may upgrade to a fancier boiler that I could possibly upgrade further with pumps etc.

However I almost would like to do shorter brew lengths and brew more often for more beer variety.
(4 x 15litres rather than 3 x20, which is doable now I suppose).

That's mighty fancy...I understand how a GF type device works...with a basic pot system and no pump what do users do to shift the liquids about etc?

Cheers

Clint

Surely you've seen them? I don't hold back from showing off! But ... http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=63149.

(It's been subject to a few modifications since then, but not that make a lot of difference to the piccies and the linked documents will get another update soon).

That looks fu-flipping awesome. Wouldn't need a Grainfather if you'll come build me one of those haha. (Please:lol:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's mighty fancy...I understand how a GF type device works...with a basic pot system and no pump what do users do to shift the liquids about etc?
Clint
My typical modus operandi:
Electric boiler in kitchen on worktop next to coolbox mashtun which is on 6 inches lower level worktop.
20litrs strike water from cold filtered tap into 25ltr plastic wine fermenter, walk over and empty into boiler. This is the only 'big lift' since cold water (low risk).
15-20ltr strike water at 74-75C from boiler to to mash tun using 3ltr plastic jug.
Refill boiler with another 15-20ltrs cold water to heat for sparge.
Drain wort from mash tun via gravity though wide bore silcon tube to 25ltr fermenting bucket. 1st run about 10ltrs, 2nd runnings approx 6ltrs. Pour last sparge water (10ltrs )into mash tun.
Move boiler outside and set up for boil.....carefully walk out kitchen with 15lts warm wort and empty into boiler (which is set up on a low kids table).
Drain 3rd runnings into bucket and walk out and empty into boiler.
After boil and cooling, drain wort from tap into 25ltr wine fermenter in 3 lots of approx 7-8ltrs (used to shake to oxygenate but don't bother now) - empty into SS Brewtech fermenter..so only moving 7-8kg at a time.
Done.

I am actually contemplating getting one, do I need one? well to be honest no.. I am getting good results with a large pot and a burner..

I like the fact I could get some temp control and a really good grain basket and counter flow wort chiller.. and not have to brew outside..

That said the 50L works , really well, as long as I leave it to settle I get clear wort coming out and the beer is very good.. Maybe I should keep the money and look at improving what I have?

Latest posts

Back