What keg should I get?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As TerryM stated earlier.
The correct off position is with the handle at 90 degrees.
Its easy to think that turning it fully anti clockwise is fully closed, however, you're in effect turning it back on it's self, back towards the open position.

Happy to be corrected, but I don't think those smaller keg lids have any sort of pressure release valve. Mine certainly doesn't - like yours it gets to the point where it finds the weakest point then leaks, usually through the tap. I then find if I take a pint or two of beer out it re-seals as the pressure has reduced.This to me is a good indication of when the beer is ready :)

My Rotokeg with larger 4" lid has a separate pressure release valve which I've heard whistling as it releases pressure.

I don't think those smaller keg lids have any sort of pressure release valve.
If you have one of this type with or without a piercing pin
2_inch_cap_s30_injection_valve.png

the pressure relief device is the red rubber 'band' at the base of the valve and is not normally visible since it covered by the flat metal tube held in place by the large nut as shown here
s30_valve_piercing_rev3.png

If you don't have a CO2 injection valve in the cap then you should have one of these which has a white pressure relief band as shown here (I operate with this type)
2_inch_barrel_cap_vent_rev1.png

If you have a blank cap without a relief device of any sort you should NOT use it with a pressurised PB in view of the safety implications.

If you have one of this type with or without a piercing pin
2_inch_cap_s30_injection_valve.png

the pressure relief device is the red rubber 'band' at the base of the valve and is not normally visible since it covered by the flat metal tube held in place by the large nut as shown here
s30_valve_piercing_rev3.png

If you don't have a CO2 injection valve in the cap then you should have one of these which has a white pressure relief band as shown here (I operate with this type)
2_inch_barrel_cap_vent_rev1.png

If you have a blank cap without a relief device of any sort you should NOT use it with a pressurised PB in view of the safety implications.

Thanks for that, its very helpful.

It originally came with the second one with the white band but I replaced it with the first one with the pin. I will have a look for the red band tomorrow and make sure t works as there does not seem to be any pressure relief from it atm. Its forcing the beer to leak out instead. I've moved the beer to bottles now so not using the PB and can have a look.

It couldn't be a case of over-carbonation could it?

I may just be very lucky but using 95-100 gram of sugar in my PB I've never had a problem with leaks or flat beer. :thumb:

No, it dripped straight away and got worse as it started carbing.

Ive just taken the cap apart and the sesal is so tight it would take a lot of pressure to open it. I've taken it off and stretched it a bit. I've also ordered a couple of replacement taps abd you can get sealant espscially for PBs so will order some of that. I may just stick to bottles anyway, less hastle.

Back