Pid

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun-O

Reaction score
Suggestions please for best PID to control my rims. Cost/quality balance. Suppliers?
Cheers

I used one of these Sestos PIDs for my HERMS and boil control and I was really happy with it. You can find them on eBay for about £20.
ckeD65s.jpg

I've got an Inkbird ITC100VH which looks identical to the one Steve posted. Use it for controlling the HLT temperature currently and it is great, keeps the temperature within 0.1c so I can faff around setting everything up and then have the water at strike temperature when I am ready, not overshooting and waiting for it to cool down a few degrees.

I also use my HLT for sous-vide'ing meat a fair bit, which this is also perfect for.

Planning on building a HERMS setup soon and will use it for that too, or possibly buy another.

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=669741&postcount=4

Bought from here - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01449N3A6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

And replaced the thermocouple immediately with a PT100 from eBay which has always been spot on compared to my digital thermometer. Although I will probably need one that screws in for the HERMS setup...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've an Inkbird ITC-100VH and it is pretty similar to that Sestos too (some slight difference to the decals). They are obviously churned out by a manufacturer in China and rebadged by any Tom, Dick or Harry. I have Auber Instruments PIDs too; they are slightly different (use two alarms not one, although the other PIDs might have a indicator for a non-existent second alarm) but I know people download the vastly superior Auber documentation and use it for their cheapo Inkbird. Can't fault the support from Auber, but there seems to be good support from Inkbird?

They all have fully configurable PID parameters which can be a bit daunting but here are some pointers:

1. The "autotune" function can be a deterrent against madness, but can also set some very wild and unhelpful settings.
  2. There is a temptation to think our brewing systems are very responsive and fast. But "fast" refers to industrial systems that knock the spots off our systems. RIMS systems are faster (from the PID's perspective) than HERMS.
  3. Try P=22 for starters (if using Celsius, try 40 for Fahrenheit). Reduce by 2-3 at a time watching out for overshooting.
  4. Try I=350 for starters. I've no idea why "350" was recommended but seems to work well.
  5. Set D=2 (effectively ignore "D"), but for RIMS a slightly higher value may be better because they do create rapid "rates of change" compared to HERMS. I'm messing with the value set to 5 for RIMS.
  6. "t", "cycle time" or the period that the calculations are refreshed, is omitted in the documents but is an "autotune" value. Set to 2 for SSRs (SSRs are recommended but if directly controlling using mechanical relays set to 20 so as not to stress the relay too much).

Thanks guys.... Very helpful info for a PID VIRGIN... CHEERS.

Now just to put my counterflow chiller together this weekend then I'll. Start my PID work.

On tap... Eildon Black Stout and a nicely hopped IPA.
My Amarillo blonde was majorly Astringent.. After going over my notes I think the local HB shop had over milled the MO. All that flour at the bottom of the bag should have been a clue. A wee chat with them this week I think!!

Thanks again
Shaun-O

Back