Sampling / Syphon Starting Syringe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blawford

Reaction score
I was just reading a post about someone wanting to buy an auto-syphon and I thought maybe I should share the best �£1.99 I have spent recently on homebrew equipment.

Ages ago I bought one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B013QO8MKQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 - Took a few weeks to arrive, came from Hong Kong or China. There is a Prime seller there but you pay for the speedy service.

Doesn't look like much, 100ml syringe with a piece of tube. Bought it originally for taking samples for hydrometer readings, means you can crack the fermenter lid very slightly and pull a sample with minimal contact with the wort.

I recently discovered that without the tube it fits tightly into the end of a �£3 Wilkos Syphon and works great for getting it started.

Simply...
  1. Sanitise the syphon, shake off any excess sanitiser (assuming a no rinse sanitiser, StarSan etc) and put it into your fermenter (I also really recommend a Syphon Bucket Clip).
  2. Sanitise the syringe, attach it to the end of the syphon tube.
  3. Pull out the plunger until you get wort in your syringe.
  4. Hold the end of the syphon tube where it connects to the syringe and aim it at wherever you are racking to (keg, or bottling bucket)
  5. Detach the syringe and let to wort flow.

Easy peasy.

Last edited by a moderator:
That might've been me talking about wanting an auto-syphon.:lol: I currently use a syringe to start them, problem though is you have to worry about 2 ends rather than just 1. With an auto I can just tube clip the out end into place and worry about the in end. Believe me, these things are important when you have a bit of a (not beer related... I actually get steadier after a few pints! lol) tremor. :lol: I've worn a bit of wort or must a couple of times now. :whistle:

Oh, and we own 3 turkey basters, 2 with metal spikes on the end. :-o I mainly use them to fill my tarantula's water bowls.... :thumb: I use a glass wine thief for taking samples though.

I use a syphon tap and a short piece of syphone tube , insert tap into syphon start syphon with tube end higher than the top of the DJ/bucket then remove the short tube and tap when the flow starts.

The syringe is good for taking samples from a fermenter in a fridge with limited height to remove lid as you need to when using turkey baster.
I have taps on most of my FV's.

Turkey baster from Wilko's was what I was going to buy for taking samples, but they were out of stock when I went, so I bought the syringe online. Starting a syphon with it is so so easy I am glad I have it.

Latest posts

Back