cascade single hop

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
140th brew 14/10/2017 Cascade Single hop IPA. 41g Cascade at start, 20g Cascade 15m, 20g Cascade 5mins, 63g Cascade at flameout. 4.2kg Low colour MO an 290g Carapils. Got around 22 litres of this with a OG of 1058 which as higher than expected. Colour at pitch pale yellow to lemony 10-13 L. Taste at pitch really lovely, sweet, little bitterness, creamy, zingy pine freshness at tip of tongue with lemony flavours also. One of the best tastes at this stage. Pitched Safale O5. Am going to dry hop after six days.

140th brew 14/10/2017 Cascade Single hop IPA. 41g Cascade at start, 20g Cascade 15m, 20g Cascade 5mins, 63g Cascade at flameout. 4.2kg Low colour MO an 290g Carapils. Got around 22 litres of this with a OG of 1058 which as higher than expected. Colour at pitch pale yellow to lemony 10-13 L. Taste at pitch really lovely, sweet, little bitterness, creamy, zingy pine freshness at tip of tongue with lemony flavours also. One of the best tastes at this stage. Pitched Safale O5. Am going to dry hop after six days.
Sounds good mate,can I ask,41g ???
Is that what landed on your scales or did you mean that? Ive never understood why people don't just go to the nearest ten when it's one or two grams either way

Is that what landed on your scales or did you mean that? Ive never understood why people don't just go to the nearest ten when it's one or two grams either way
I usually do that so I don't end up with a few grams of hops left in the freezer after my planned brews.

This sounds nice.
How much are you going to use for dry-hopping?

I believe in total precision, one gram more and it will be too bitter and one gram less it will be too sweet.....no not really, it's a Greg Hughes recipe so I just followed the orders!

I always round up or down to the nearest 5g, I don't like having odd amounts of hops

As, I write, my SMASH is having it's hop stand, in another 20 min I re start the cooling, it's with Willimatte hops though.

SMASHed Willy!

5 kg Maris otter
60 min at 66c mash
70 min boil with 50grm. hops 4%
30 min. hop stand with 50grm.hops at 66c
Safale 04 yeast
SMASH ales are so simple
Cheers

Never tried Cascade - think I'll remedy that next time I buy hops as all the US ones I've tried so far, I've liked. Are they any cop then? I don't weigh hops and certainly can't be arsed calculating IBUs and FBIs and TCPs etc... just wang 'em in and see what transpires. No duds yet!

Never tried Cascade - think I'll remedy that next time I buy hops as all the US ones I've tried so far, I've liked. Are they any cop then? I don't weigh hops and certainly can't be arsed calculating IBUs and FBIs and TCPs etc... just wang 'em in and see what transpires. No duds yet!

I reckon that works :lol: however I like to play about to find the perfect beer so I need to record it all!

Back