Nottingham yeast lower temperatures

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Purtchiarn

Reaction score
Hi,

Quick query on Nottingham yeast if anyone can help.

I'm going to do a festival razorback ipa kit and without a brew fridge and drug and aquarium heater to regulate my temps I was thinking of using a Nottingham yeast which seems compatible with IPas and ferments at the lower temps I appear to be having in my house between 14oc and 18oc.

Does anyone else do this and had reasonable success? I don't mind longer fermentation time at the lower temps.

The datasheet for Lallemand Nottingham says down to 10*C (Google it) and I may have read on here that Nottingham is OK down to 16*C, although I have no personal experience of it. If you go down to 14*C you may need extra yeast.

Hi!
I've tried this once with a successful outcome -a pseudo-lager that I fermented low and slow - I think it was 12°C.
I didn't get much of a chance to sample it - I brewed it for my son, and he and his mates went through the whole 40 pints in a weekend!
One tip from the Danstar website - double pitch at low temperatures. I used two packs of Gervin Ale yeast from Wilko's.

Yes, as others have said it will ferment ok at low temps. Just be careful of temps swings.
I have a pseudo lager in the FV that's been in their for two weeks and ready for bottling tommorrow. I used a mix of notty and CML Kolsch yeast. I originally fermented it at 17C in my brew bag but there was a temp dip to15C at day 3/4 (which I didnt bother accounting for) and the yeast dropped out and stalled. I simply roused it and it got going again no problem. I would suggest wrapping the FV in towels and blankets to try to protect it from temp swings. Keep an eye on it and take a gravity sample at about day 7 to see how it's doing.
Use double the amount of yeast to account for low temps

I've done pseudo lager controlled at 14°c pitched 2 pkts of wilko gervin. It produced a nice crisp brew. One I will definitely do again!

I've recently used the Wilko Gervin (Notty) at 17c for an AG english best bitter, went OK at a good pace, clean tasting brew

Back