The Ashes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I agree about Cook, shame because I think if he was any other nationality scoring as many runs as he had he would be hailed as their greatest ever player and given all the accolades they could find. Why I always want him to get one more big score just to keep proving how good he has been. Hopefully when he does retire he will be lauded then. This is where we need a bowler who does something different like Footit. I don’t think we’ve got enough on a pitch that is starting to “come on to the bat”.

Yeah I agree about Cook, shame because I think if he was any other nationality scoring as many runs as he had he would be hailed as their greatest ever player and given all the accolades they could find. Why I always want him to get one more big score just to keep proving how good he has been. Hopefully when he does retire he will be lauded then. This is where we need a bowler who does something different like Footit. I don’t think we’ve got enough on a pitch that is starting to “come on to the bat”.

I agree about our bowlers. All a bit too samey, and lacking a serious quick.

Interesting thoughts on Cook. He's had some series of absolute greatness, the 800 runs when we won in Aus particularly jump out, but there are undeniable slumps. I think we will miss his presence when he's gone though, I hope he can get through this little barren run as well need some big runs from him if we are to win this series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t see why we won’t pick the genuine quicks, there are, and have been for a few years, a few knocking around the county circuit getting wickets. Even if they said to Woakes let the handbrake off and bowl 5 over spells he can get up to 90 mph. As for Cook, even with regular slumps he averages 46 and has kept himself fit (and reasonably interested) for so long he has scored a mountain of runs. Even the best of the best have periods where they don’t score. I just think the press in England destroy anyone they can (English included) instead of getting behind them. Just look at the Aussie/Indian/South African headlines in similar situations and its the complete opposite.

I just think the press in England destroy anyone they can (English included) instead of getting behind them. Just look at the Aussie/Indian/South African headlines in similar situations and its the complete opposite.

Very true.

Well I’ve woken up this morning to 195 all out and Australia 64-0. Being from Notts I want Ball and Broad to succeed but I don’t think they can play in the same team and you got to keep Broad in for the wonder spell that might happen. Got to look at something different in bowling department.

Well this has gone well:lol:

I agree re the bowlers, don't seem to like the bowlers running in full tilt 90mph, Really need something like that here.

I havent seen any of our bowling so far this game so its hard to comment-.. Broad is a bit of an enigma, he is decent enough and I like him, he seems to simmer along then every year or 18 months he has this innings where he is unplayable

This morning is a bit more like I expected every morning to be! I think the big thing in this game is Smith and Warner, their best two batsmen, have played the crucial innings.

I’ve only seen bits but it’s like Groundhog Day on your. Almost like we’re missing Stokes slightly...... if you add stokes in to the mix for Ball and let him and Woakes take off the handbrake it’s a different attack altogether!

Real shame about that alien invasion that caused them to cancel the whole of the rest of the series........

This is what happens when you coach your bowlers within an inch of their action so they’re all the same, instead of let them run in and bowl like the Aussies

I'd have liked Plunkett in when Stokes was withdrawn as he has that raw pace. Totally agree that it's all very samey and bland. You know what'll happen though, we'll come back to England, the ball will start swinging again and we will convince ourselves everything is fine.

Plunkett is a prime example too though. He was quick when he came on the scene, over coached and repeated side strains and rib injuries. Goes back to county for a few years, starts running in again and bowls quick. The bowlers coming through now are a product of the over coaching that went on at all levels at that time. Why there’s no young proper quicks at the minute. We need Plunkett, Wood and Footit around the team.

Although, to be fair to the bowlers, (and to my annoyance in agreement with blundering Boycott) we have thrown wickets away. I’m not saying we don’t need a change in the bowling department but the wickets were s***e.

between the forum and the cricket not much work is being done this morning.

The problem is that we want bowlers who can bowl everything and express pace. from a young age we should be just letting kids run in and bowl fast. however some may then struggle to get swing and movement off the seam which on slow pitches would be needed. To aid this people are coached on their technique which then leads to a loss of pace... Its a tricky one but in English conditions swing and movement are far more useful than express pace especially at a younger age when people haven't physically developed as much.

I would like to see a left hand bowler in the side though.

Latest posts

Back